I learned to knit two years ago, and I love it! Actually, I learned when I was in Brownies when I was younger, but did not really take to it, but now with a daughter to knit goodies for I wanted to learn again.I quickly learned two tips that make knitting easier:
Casting On is always a challenge, it always wants to be loose! Makes me crazy! So if the pattern calls for #7 needles, I cast on with #6 needles, knit the first row on #6, and use a #7 on the second row. This results in much better results for me!
Casting Off has also been a challenge as sometimes it is just too tight! So for my cast off row I use a needle a size larger for my finishing row of stitches, in this example I would have my knitting on a size 7 needle, but be using one size 8 needle for my finishing row to make sure it was not pulling.
Works like a charm, and that works for me!
For more knitting tips I highly recommend my favorite books for knitting tips and instruction:
The Knitting Experience: Book 1: The Knit Stitch (The Knitting Experience)
The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch (Knitting Experience Series)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





3 comments:
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! I learned how to knit this summer and I really wondered if I would ever get it right. This is exactly the problem I have been having. I'll try it tomorrow.
I've never had trouble with casting on, but I've done the same thing with casting off. Works wonderfully! Great tip.
Good tip! I'm currently working on my first project- a scarf (boring)- so I haven't had a chance to cast-off yet. Casting on hasn't seemed to be a problem but I'll keep this in mind when I'm trying to finish this darn thing up! Thanks!
Post a Comment