Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Canning Pears

Wfmwheader


I have always been enchanted with the idea of a full pantry of canned fruit and veggie goodness.

There were just two problems:
1. We live in California so we don't have a basement for a cold room, or room for a real pantry anywhere.
2. I am not so enchanted with all the work of canning, it is really hard, hot work!

But I was determined this year to can pears, pear butter and million dollar relish, which I did!

However, as a girl who loves process improvement I streamlined my Mother-in-law's instructions to a very easy, streamlined, few dishes method.

1. In your on the stove kettle (or you can use a pot and ladle, but this is easier) mix your syrup mixture (double or triple as needed):
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp Fruit Fresh (or the like)
Heat to a boil and then turn down to simmer.
(It would also work to heat it in your pot and then transfer it to a large measuring cup for easier pouring)

2. While this is coming to a boil make sure your jars and lids are ready.

3. Peal your pears with a vegetable peeler. Use a melon baller to scoop out the seeds, and your knife to slice (in a V shape) the rest of the core out.

4. As each pear is peeled, cut it and place it into it's jar. When the jar is filled with the amount of pears you are putting in immediately wipe the rim of the jar, pour the syrup from the kettle over it and pop the lid on. Work quickly so that your pears do not have time to brown.

5. As soon as you have a pot full of jars, immediately start processing them so that you can make time. (I had the water starting to heat to a boil with step 1) Process using your favored method (I like a covered dutch oven with boiling water 3/4 up the sides, processing for 30 minutes).

6. Remove processed jars from water CAREFULLY (silicon mitt is great for this) and place on cooling rack to, well, cool. Wait for the happy popping sound of the jar sealing.

7. Let sit for about 2 weeks before digging in....I know, but try!

By using this method I was done in a lot less time, and my dirty dishes were about half of the original method that involved blanching the pears, pealing and cutting them all, setting them to soak in a Fruit Fresh and water mixture while you cut so they would not brown, them placing them in jars method!

This method would likely work in canning any fruit that you are suspending in a syrup.

Works for me
, and my favorite kitchen tip to share this fall! It worked so well for me that I assure you I will be canning pears next year! Now if I could just fix the lack of real pantry problem......

What would you like to preserve from summer's bounty for the winters?

(Plus, pears are on sale at Vons / Safeway / Pavilions this week for $0.39 a pound!)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin