Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Unprepared

There were a number of things I was unprepared for when we lost our baby at 10 weeks gestation to miscarriage. (Feb 28, this baby was to be our second child, and is our second child, just not with us).

I was unprepared for the doctor's words, the onslaught of emotions, for the deep grieving, for the feelings of inadequacy, for feeling like this was somehow my fault, for people who I expected to be compassionate acting like nothing happened, for crying at the drop of a hat hysterically, for how I felt each time I saw blood.

But we have been doing better, as time passes it gets easier.

Until a last thing happened that I was unprepared for.

The overwhelming emotion that comes with the insurance paperwork saying how much of my hospital procedure is our responsibility. It arrived on Saturday, and it has been a horrible feeling. It seems wrong to be paying medical bills for a pregnancy that will not allow me to hold my baby this side of heaven. It feels like a cruel joke.

But God is pouring the soothing salve of His love on this open wound, because He loves us and is so overwhelmingly good to us.

It still hurts, but I know our child is with God, and will never experience the pain of a fallen world, of human shortcomings, of sin. Our child will only know the perfection of God.

5 comments:

Donnetta said...

I'm so, so sorry! May God provide a balm and peace for your soul that can only come from Him!!

The ParTea Planner said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I too, lost my first pregnancy at 10 weeks. It is hard, I know, to get through...but you do. And now I have three kids! These things make us so much more relatable to others (2 Cor. 1:4-6 is what helped me). Hang in there, *Risa email me if you want to talk more..,

Joyful Days said...

I am very sorry. Prayers for you and your family.

Reviekat said...

I'm so sorry for you loss. You and your family will be in my family's prayer. God knows your pain and suffering and will provide comfort through it. One of my favorite verses for times of grieving is:

II Corinthians 1:3,4a - "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction..."

Alexandra said...

I'm so sorry Mrs. Pear. I lost a baby at 12 weeks in 2001. It's good to grieve and talk about it. Big hugs to you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin