Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Lady's Education

The Walled Garden has a post about ladies continuing our education, part 2, and part 3 about not stopping the learning process because now we are staying home as wives and possibly moms as well.

I found this article very interesting, even though I highly value formal education at the university level which I think I disagree with the author about, but before I comment on it, let me say one clarifying thing, and then share a little bit about myself with you that I have not until now.

Clarifying thing: It is clearly God's will for my life for me to stay home with Miss Pear, so I am writing from that perspective. In no way would I presume to dictate what the Lord is doing in someone else's life. This tends to be a touchy issue, and I don't want anyone to think I am saying this is the way all women should do it because I am not. The only thing I think all women (and men too for that matter) should do is seek the Lord and His will, and follow Him obediently and faithfully.

Now, on to the point of this!

I grew up in the family business of a rural hotel. My chores around the "house" were actually hotel work because our living quarters were attached to the hotel. By the time I graduated from high school there was not a job in the hotel I could not do. Plan out the work schedules??? No problem. Place the supply orders and argue with the meat supplier about the steaks??? Piece of cake. Manage the staff???? Easy peasy!

I went to university and earned an honors business degree. My degree specializes in Operations Research and Operations Management, which is a fancy way to say I am trained to manage supply chain operations and a manufacturing floor and be continually seeking to improve. I am a planner by training and by God's design.

While I can understand that college is not for everyone, it certainly was God's plan for me, as was seminary, but I will get to that....

I finished my formal education and managed my family business for a year, preparing it to be run by managers. Then trained the managers. Once that was complete I began my career as a production planner where I scheduled the work for 11 different work stations.

Then I got engaged, and planned a wedding to take place in 7 weeks and 6 days so that we have 3 weeks to the day between our wedding and an international move from central Canada to Southern California. Not so hard considering that Mr. Pear is a planner too - both by training and by God's design.

Once here, I began a career in the High Tech industry first as a production planner, and then as a material planner, and finally as the liaison between materials and operations.

And then I quit. I hated my job and I was miserable. Mr. Pear's father had died, my first father who made it clear I would never meet his standard and I was a continual disappointment died, my grandfather (who was also perpetually disappointed with me) was diagnosed with inoperable cancer and my aunt was diagnosed with bone cancer. One Friday I sat at my desk and felt my brain fragment. I could not do it. I talked with my husband all weekend about it, and on Monday I gave two week's notice. All I left behind, or "gave up" were ferocious tension headaches, stress, frustration, and irritation.

That was three blissful years ago.

In the mean time, I spent my time thusly:

First I had started working on seminary classes before I quit my job, so I finished my graduate certificate in Christian ministry, even taking Greek. Although taking Greek in my last trimester of pregnancy was probably not my best idea. This was something God clearly called me to do, and blessed me tremendously because of it! I did not grow up in a strong Christian family, there were large gaps in my knowledge that the Lord is graciously filling. This experience both educated me and equipped me to continue my education on my own.

Second, I gave birth to Miss Pear! The highlight! And learned how to be a mom! And of course my education as a mom is ongoing!

I learned lots about babies, and am now learning about toddlers - my teacher is Miss Pear.

I have been working at furthering my quilting skills - something I learned after I was married.

I have continued to work on polishing up my sewing and cross stitching skills - crafts I have been working on since I was 9.

I have continued my cooking and baking experimenting, perfecting pie crusts - finally! And foraying into using the freezer for more than raw ingredients and left overs! Having meals ready to go in the freezer has been a tremendous blessing. And I love to cook and bake!

I have learned to knit.

I have used the time to read extensively.

I have used the time to study my Bible with the tools seminary and BSF blessed me with.

I have begun to teach Miss Pear.

I have been teaching myself to coupon clip and shop the sales better to save money.

I have been satisfying my curiosity by reading about whatever I am curious about.

It has become clear to me that while my formal education has blessed me tremendously, it is my informal education that has the biggest impact on me.

Learning is lifelong. It does not end because formal education ends. Formal education helps us learn to learn, and we keep on!

My formal education honed my planning skills, and I now use that to bless my family. Anyone who has seen me plan my menu and shopping trips will attest to this! But it is my informal education that is taking my planning skills and helping me to use them to bear fruit for my family.

And yes, I do use spreadsheets to track things and organize holidays....

Oh, and just an aside in reference to the article in walled garden - I have read all of Jane Austen's books - for an Honors literature class, and then again for my own enjoyment!

We are never done learning, and I would encourage you to pick at least one thing to learn more about. If you have an interest, study it! If there is a book of the Bible that baffles you (Revelation? Prophets??), or a book you love and would like to know better ask your pastor for commentary recommendations and dig in! If there is something you always wanted to know how to do head to the library, or ask amongst your friends for someone who knows how to do this thing who might help you learn!

Women do not check our brains at the door when we return home from a career to be a stay at home wife and mother, we use all our intelligence and resources to bless our family, constantly learning more so we can grow and do better!

I love that my intelligence, my gifts, and my hard work bless my family.

2 comments:

Michelle Therese said...

A formal education is never wasted! Not even when a woman "stays home." We have to bust this myth that stay-at-home women are wasted brains withering away behind closed doors. Or that we are non-productive members of society! **Cheers**

Mrs. Pear said...

Coffee Wife -

I definitely agree with you, the key reason I decided to post a comment to the article I linked to was because I was so tired of the myth!

That I must be a bit on the slow side if I made the choice to stay home, that I sit on the couch and eat bonbons all day, that I gave up everything worth having to stay home!

All are false! And I have the seminary transcript to prove it - all A's and A-'s except for 1 B in Greek in Verbs. In one of my theology classes my average was 105% (I got the bonus questions right too!) And I am not bragging, I am agreeing with you and making the same point.

As for doing nothing - I think I work harder now!

And we all know that we give up very little compared to what we gain to stay home.

Thank you for your kind comment!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin