Last week we were all sick. The worst day of all was Easter Sunday. I kid you not.We all had horrible colds, and no energy.
As I was talking to a friend of mine I realized that many women (including her) would simply either be martyrs about all this, or let the house fall apart. So I thought I would share what we did to get through this.
When we are all sick, we all pitch in to do what we can. This means that Mr. Pear helped me with dishes and the stuff that could not be left, I was not on my own to do it all. I am very blessed to have a husband who is happy to help me around the house.
The first big thing we did was to regularly change pillow cases so that we were not sleeping on the same germy pillow cases. For Miss Pear we changed her crib sheet. We had really bad colds with really runny noses, so this was very important.
The second big thing we did was to air out our bedrooms each morning so that our rooms at least smelled fresh rather than that kind of sick smell. I would like to think this also helps disperse the germs too, but who knows. I do know that it made me feel better!
Other helpful things:
1. Make a big pot of Veggie Soup - this way all that produce you bought for the week will not spoil! I start with 2 cups of stock, 3-4 cups of water and a 56 oz can of petite diced tomatoes, and put over heat. As I am waiting for it to come to a boil I add whatever veggies I need (and want to use up) and barley. Let simmer for at least 45 minutes for nice fluffy barley. Add pasta for the last 10 minutes. This provided 3 meals for us!
2. Toast is an acceptable lunch.
3. Break into your stash of freezer meals - now is that time when you need help!
4. Run the dishwasher. I don't usually put my pots and mixing bowls in the dishwasher, but when I am sick I put everything possible in - this means less work for us, and it sterilizes everything. (Plus our water is paid for in our HOA fees, so it does not run up a bill).
5. If your dishwasher is running and you have dishes, run a sink of hot soapy water and drop dirty dishes in - cleaner and the germs are not just laying around.
6. Tidy the kitchen - it will be easier to make meals, get juice and water, and whatever else you need if you are not walking into a mess. It is hard to make myself do this but I feel better with the kitchen clean - kind of like one less thing needing to be done. And it motivates me to keep putting everything in the dishwasher because there is nothing on the counters or in the sink!
7. Change your shirts every day - with Miss Pear rubbing her runny nose on us this was a must! But even without that, a fresh shirt after laying around all day just feels better.
8. Get dressed - even if it is just sweat pants and a shirt - you will feel so much better.
9. Make the bed. This is kind of like the kitchen thing. Even if you are going to just lay on top of it, making the bed will make you feel better. I make the bed, put all the nice fluffy pillows on top, get a throw quilt and get comfortable.
10. Pray for the Lord's healing. Okay, so maybe this one should be first....it is the most important one!
11. Get lots of rest and don't worry too much about your children having more television than you would like, it is just a day or two. This is a great time to break out the video stash.
12. Read good books, and go to bed early. (And napping while Miss Pear naps is great, it allows us all to make it to bed time!)
P.S. This is gross, but if your family is sick with colds, occasionally check mucus color (just ask for color unless it is little ones, then look) because if it is yellow or green this is a sign of sinus infection and it is time to see the doctor. Thankfully we were spared it this time around, but we tend to get it more than is usual around here.
Head on over to Mrs. Dryer's for more Works For Me Wednesday tips



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





3 comments:
"Toast is an acceptable lunch~!"
Perfect! And changing the pillow cases makes perfect sense!
I'm glad you are all better....and thanks for this great list!
Diane
For some reason we get sick in an order around here. First Boo, the Dad, then Roo (who never is very bad), then Mom. That is when it starts falling apart, because while Dad is good about helping--he's back at work by then. Ugh. I need to be more organized to be prepared for the worst.
You are always so inspiring with your organization! (And you good menus ;))
One thing I might add is to throw your toothbrushes in the dishwasher too to sanitize them and then when you seem to be getting better go ahead and throw them out and replace them. If they were practically new and you can't bear to buy new ones yet, sanitize them again in the dishwasher or boil them in water.
Our family seemed to be passing something nasty from person to person so I did the toothbrush thing and also went to using throw away plastic cups in the bathroom for toothbrushing time. No unnecessary germ sharing.
Alice
Post a Comment