I recently finished which was an unusual book in the fact that Theresa of Avila had written it to the nuns in her order, not to a woman some 600 years later! The result is an unusually conversational style for that time period which is delightful.
I did find this book to be a bit hard to read as she would sometimes get caught up in bunny trails, or repeat herself by saying it in a completely different way to emphasize points to her nuns. But this is well worth overcoming to gleam the nuggets in this book.
One important thing she discussed is praying with our whole focus being on the Lord, and even taking time to focus our thoughts and heart before we begin! Oh, this was a reminder and lesson I sorely needed! So often I just launch in, and to be honest, I wonder how God could get a word in edgewise! Prayer is a conversation, and so often when I launch in, it becomes a monologue.
She also has great discussions about getting along with others in the order, which could very well be retitled getting along with others in the Church, and she makes points in such a way that you wonder why you have fallen into that bad behavior! Or at least I did!
But there was one point that struck me, that I still think about, and still wonder about. I was reading this book when we discovered that we were going to lose our baby, and miscarried, and when I read this quote on page 99, it stuck in my head, "...the King does not allow himself to be taken except by the one who surrenders wholly to Him." So often I find that I want so much to submit to the Lord, but part of me rebells! In this case I found myself submitting because I had finally collapsed under the weight of it all. I remember asking our pastor if it was really submission, if it really counted if I did not consciously decide to commit be just collapsed under it all. He assured me that it was, and I find myself reviewing this statement from the book again in light of this. It is true, I want as much of the Lord in my life as possible, and that only comes through obedience and submission.
This was not the easiest to read book, but it was worth it! So often we write off, or ignore the saints in the protestant church, but in doing so we miss some great opportunities to learn from those who have gone before us. And I must say that I learned a great deal from this book!
However, I do recommend reading her biography first, particularly:
On the Mrs. Pear rating system (below) I give this book 4 pears!
5 Pears - Fabulous! Too good for words! What do you mean you haven't read this one yet! Go, immediately, and get a copy! This book must be in your library! I would lend you mind, but I cannot part with it! Besides, I think I will start rereading it tonight!
4 Pears - Excellent - I loved this book, definitely worth picking up or borrowing from a friend or getting from a library - a must read!
3 Pears - Good - I liked it, it would be a good book to get from your library or to borrow from a friend, probably not one to invest precious book money in though.
2 Pears - Not bad - it would be okay if I were stranded in an airport or on a deserted island and this was all I could find to read.
1 Pear - Awful! Do not waste your time or money on this one! How did this get published?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





1 comment:
Great review! I'll try to find this book at the library.
I need to read more! I did purchase a few Proverbs 31, keepers of the home advice type books from my son's Mennonite homeschool publisher. I'm not Mennonite but it's universal for all Christian women. I'm reding those little by little at bedtime which is way past right now! LOL.
Post a Comment