Friday, April 13, 2007

Standing against discouragement

Since we listed our home there have been many times that we have found we have been feeling discouraged and frustrated by this whole thing. Not just trying to sell our home, but the commute, the severe cut in our family time during the week, the fatigue that plagues us (particularly Mr. Pear), the illnesses that have been cropping up, our miscarriage, un-budgeted expenses (like a new tire when there was a spike in the sidewall of an older one found just as we were buying the two new tires we needed, so this was a third), and the change in our family routine.

When we are discouraged, there are a couple of steps we always take:

  1. Word of God - read it, think about it, let it soak into you, read it out loud (Bible on CD)! I cannot spend a lot if time in the Word first thing in the morning, so I leave a Bible open on the counter, and read what I can, sometimes just a verse or two, and it helps. I have a longer quiet time either when Miss Pear naps, or in the evening while Mr. Pear finishes his work day by logging in from home (this lets him come home an hour earlier and allows for supper as a family!) I have also found it very helpful to read out loud, I don't know if it is both seeing and hearing the words or if it is just something about me, but reading aloud to Miss Pear always helps me tremendously! As much as possible, saturate yourself in the Word!
  2. As you study the Word, write down what you learn about God, what jumps off the page at you. As you look back over your notes you will be surprised as you glean truth about God and what He is doing in your life (it may take a week or more to have notes that reveal something to you, it is sometimes like pieces of a puzzle, you are just waiting for that one piece to make the whole thing come together.)
  3. Praise music - We have a CD player that holds 5 CDs. I load it up and hit play and let it go all day. Miss Pear got a great CD for Easter:

    Seeds of Courage, Compact Disc [CD]


    It is all scripture, and it is fabulous! We have been playing it lots and it is surprising how having the scripture sung changes the whole feeling of our home and us!
  4. Speak truth to yourself when you know you are thinking lies. I think this is something I need to be better at - identifying my wrong thinking and then telling myself that this is wrong thinking because of what the scriptures say, and then read myself the appropriate scriptures! Then write out verses on stickies and place them where I see them - bathroom mirror, kitchen sink, change table, etc. to serve as reminders!
  5. Pray - this is such a big one when I am discouraged, I ask God to help me, to give me a right perspective on things, His perspective! I also pray for the specific situation.
This is how we face discouragement, how about you? What helps you?

1 comment:

Reviekat said...

Great post! We all hit areas of discouragement in our lives but if we remember to constantly seek out God and His word we will be able to make it through. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin