Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My kitchen sink doth protest too much!

When we first moved in, I thought the ceramic sink in our kitchen was beautiful, but then I discovered the task of keeping it clean! Actually, clean is not a problem, shiny and stain-free is.

Soft Scrub Commercial (available at Home Depot, I cannot find it anywhere else) usually served me very well! But there I was, cleaning my sink with people scheduled to see my house, and the Soft Scrub Commercial let me down! How rude!

Mrs. B over at Cherish the Home had just recently posted about cleaning her sink with the Fly Lady's method, so I went to the FlyLady's to get the information, and got as far as bleaching my sink with one cup of bleach and hot water - I even dumped in a kettle of boiling water to give it some extra oomph! (Why yes, that is the official Mrs. Pear housekeeping scientific term!) And you know what? An hour later I had a gleaming white sink. I was thrilled. So I just polished it up and was done!

Now, the shocking thing is that once I started the process I remembered that I knew this trick, I just never used it because I always managed to get bleach on me. But I have a new rule in the house. If ever I am using bleach or a bleach based product I wear an old apron and old t-shirt as I can always miss the apron and get my sleeve - I am very talented that way! (By the way, by doing this I seem to ensure that I don't have any bleach accidents...strange, I know!)

I think I will be sticking to the bleach and water trick when little stains appear - unless of course I need a quick fix because someone is coming to see our house!

Nothing like showing the sink who the queen of the house really is!

2 comments:

Cherish the Home said...

Uugh I know what you mean about the porcelen sinks--so pretty but harder to keep looking nice.

I must admit that I don't use the bleach water very often, for the same reason you mentioned and because I don't care for the smell. Most of the time I use old-fashioned Comet to scrub my sink.

FlyLady's method does work quite well though and with very little effort. (o:

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Laura said...

Ooooh - I will be going to try this on my white sink! Thank you for sharing this!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin