Monday, March 19, 2007

Veggie Lasagna, Slow cooker liners and Cheese

The recipe:

Veggie Lasagna

2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 x 15 oz container part-skim ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 – 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded carrots
3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 store size, or one garden one)
3 shredded sweet peppers (optional, but nice if you have them)
2 jars (26 oz, the size that holds approx. 2 cups) marinara sauce
16 oz egg noodles (may not need whole bag)
1 cup additional mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. Mix first portion of mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs and parmesan cheese.
2. Cook carrots in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir into egg mixture, set aside.
3. Liberally spray slow cooker with non-stick spray, then layer the following:
a. Spread 2/3 cup sauce on bottom
b. 1 layer of egg noodles
c. 1/3 cheese mixture
d. 1/3 zucchini
e. one shredded pepper (optional)
f. 1-1 and 1/3 cups sauce
g. repeat c-f two more times, but on the final sauce addition, add all the sauce you have left.
h. Top with last cup of mozzarella cheese.
4. Cook for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high. No peaking, stirring, or lifting the lid.

Yields - lots! I used my 6 or 7 qt oval slow cooker, and it was about 1-1 1/2 inches from the top, so we are getting at least one more supper out of this, plus some lunches. This would be great as a meal for a large family, or for company.

The Review: We liked this. In the original recipe there was not quite enough sauce, so the recipe above reflects the need for more sauce! (Original recipe calls for only one can). It was a great way to sneak in lots of veggies, but you could make the sauce a meat sauce by adding cooked ground beef or turkey very easily.

The Verdict: I will definitely make this again! And it would be great for company with a salad and rolls.


The Slow Cooker Liners.
Cost: $2.99 - $1 coupon - $1 coupon double= $0.99 for 4, or about 25 cents each.

My slow cooker is on it's last legs, it has TWO hot spots! So I figured this would be a good way to help alleviate the burnt food. Nope, it made both hot spots WORSE! So I probably ended up throwing away a cup of food.

I found it awkward to layer my lasagna in, so it was not easier to assemble with.

I found condensation got in and by the hot spots it turned dark behind the liner, so I was still scrubbing.

The good thing was that my slow cooker was clean that night, and ready first thing in the morning for the Lazy Cabbage Rolls.

So the verdict is that if my slow cooker were not in dire need of being replaced these probably would have worked quite well - everyone else I know who has tried them loved them, especially for cheese heavy recipes.

I would get them again if I could get them at $1 a box of 4, or 25 cents each, but will not be paying full price for them any time soon, I just don't think they are worth it because....

Slow cooker cleaning tip
Clean as much of the crud out as you can
Put about 1-2 tbsp of dishwasher powder in (works better than liquid)
Add HOT HOT water, filling to top.
Let sit overnight.
Should come perfectly clean overnight

this also works on metal pots and roasters (I have not tried this on non-stick ones though).


Kraft Grate-it Fresh Parmesan Cheese

Cost: $5.99-0.50sale - $1 coupon - $1 coupon double = $3.49

This is actually a good price on Parmesan cheese without the grater, so at that price I would buy it again!

The grater was a bit awkward at first, but once I got the hang of it, and got a little further in, it worked great!

The only thing I did not like was that unlike when you grate cheese by hand the cheese breaks off, with this one you have to pull the cheese to break it off the grater - more of an annoyance than problem. With the little cover that covers the bottom I don't think you would have to worry about the cheese drying out that was left in the grater portion of you use it regularly.

Verdict - this is worth buying if you get a good price (full price is a bit too pricey for me).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin