Friday, March 16, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Growing up Cabbage Rolls were a staple food at any occasion meal. Rolls of meat, and rice with a tomato sauce wrapped up in a cabbage leaf topped with more tomato sauce were the best! But TIME CONSUMING! Do you know how hard it is to make those when it is a side dish and most people eat TWO or MORE!

However, I love my family. I hate to deprive them, so I make the lazy version...in the crock pot.

So to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, I share my favorite cabbage recipe with you (no, not my coleslaw recipe!)

Easy Cabbage Roll Casserole

1 1/2 lbs ground beef or turkey
2 medium onions, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can tomato sauce (14ish oz, divided)
1 can condensed tomato soup (10 oz, divided)
1 cup water
1/2 cup long grain rice
4 cups shredded cabbage

  1. Brown beef, onions, garlic an salt, draining of excess fat if you use beef. (I usually add a couple grinds of pepper, and find it usually does not need a lot of salt, so I skip it until at the table)
  2. Add half the tomato sauce, half a can of tomato soup, and water, mix well.
  3. Add rice, stirring to combine
  4. Spray slow cooker with no-stick cooking spray, liberally.
  5. Layer half meat mixture, half cabbage, rest of meat mixture, rest of cabbage
  6. Mix remaining tomato sauce and soup and pour over top.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours, until bubbly and heated through.

Do not stir, just cover and ignore.

It will look like a lot but will “shrink” a lot.

We serve this as a main dish or side dish, depending on the need. Leftovers freeze excellently.

Adapted from the original recipe in “Canada’s Best Slow Cooker Recipes” by Donna-Marie Pye, pg 98.

I will be making this on Sunday to go with Roast Chicken for supper.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin