Wednesday, May 2, 2007

WFMW - Birthday Box

WfmwheaderEach year on Miss Pear's birthday we have a birthday gift she does not get, yet. It goes into her birthday box.

Let me explain.

Like many women, when I moved out I had most of the essentials, but not a lot of the extras I really wanted that help make the house pretty, and the job easier. It was a couple years before I could save up for the "good stuff" I was accustomed to from working in my Mom's kitchen with her.

So we decided to help Miss Pear out.

Each birthday we put something in her birthday box that is for her home one day, something nice that reflects her year.

For her first birthday I sewed her 4 reversible French Provincial style place mats in green, one side sported pears. (Her grandma's are also free to add something. One embroidered her 7 flour sack tea towels, and one has something that has not been delivered yet as it did not fit in the suit case the last two times she came and there is no rush).

For her second birthday I am sewing 8 napkins - 4 each of the two fabric patterns from last year, and we have purchased metal measuring cups and spoons as Miss Pear loves to help me cook and bake, and will help me all day if I just give her measuring cups and spoons.

We will do this for each child the Lord blesses us with.

The plan is, when she moves out to a home of her own to bless her with this box of goodies, and the list that tracks what each year's gift was and why.

Oh, and don't tell Miss Pear, it is a secret! shhhhhh!

The birthday box and a secret! Works for me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely ideas! We plan on having a Hope Chest party when each girl turns 16 and inviting women who have influenced their lives to come and each bring a special gift for the hope chest!
This inspires me though- to be thinking now of things I can contribute to the box each year!
Simply wonderful!

Joyful Days said...

I totally love this idea!! My family started something like this when I was older--but to start it so young is a wonderful idea. What a blessing.

Reviekat said...

What a wonderful idea! Miss. Pear will be so blessed when she moves out that she has the birthday box full of things given out of love. :)

My Trendy Tykes said...

Oh, this is such an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea! Are you attaching tags to everything that tell her at what age she got these things and why?

Mrs. Pear said...

Amy W - I LOVE this idea - I am going to make a note of it in the file we use to keep track of the items in Miss Pear's box so that we can do it too!

Jen - I keep a file where I mark down the birthday, and under that I track the item, who it was from, and why it was selected (if there is a reason, the grandmas just pick stuff).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin