Thursday, May 24, 2007

What I have learned by having our house on the market....


(Our town home, at least it is ours for 2 more weeks)

In two weeks, exactly, a crew of movers will be here putting all our stuff in boxes, so it seemed an appropriate time to post this, because after being on the market since September, we learned an awful lot....

1. God has a sense of humor (okay, I knew this before, but I have a new appreciation for it).

2. If you want people to come see your house, get 10 projects on the go so that you are in a bit (or a huge, gargantuan, did you get that name of that tornado) of a mess - guaranteed to work!

3. Buy lots of toilet bowl cleaner - people will treat you bathroom like a public restroom (at least I am presuming they are better behaved at home....)

4. It is helpful to have a good cleaning schedule and be faithful in following it.

5. God always meets me in my disappointment.

6. A microwave is a great place to store baking.

7. If you finish the drink in the jug, it is perfectly okay to put the clean, empty jug back in the fridge to hide it when showing your home.

8. My swiffer is my friend.

9. A relatively fine mesh bag is a great way to store tub toys so that they are not all over the tub.

10. If you want people to come see your home, just get sick.

11. It is really a good thing to make your bed first thing every morning - not just a compulsion I have!

12. There are some real estate agents that push all your buttons, but be nice to them, they will be advising the potential buyer of your home.

13. Physical inspections are a good thing, but don't take them personally when the buyer of your house asks for whiny nit-picky things! It is worth it to go buy a tube of calking just to build some good will.

14. If you want people to come see your home, tear a couple rooms apart for an in-depth cleaning and they will be right over!

15. If you microwave is full, store baking or dirty dishes in your oven.

16. God is ever faithful, and can be completely trusted.

17....and He is there when you cry out in frustration too, and listens and soothes....

18. God's timing is perfect.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! #2 is sadly very, very true. I mean, I suppose we could "play" it to our advantage by leaving a mess to lure them. But it IS true. Our house was on the market for 5 months and we always had calls to show it when it was less than show ready.
Blessings,
~toni~

Carey said...

Gotta love the microwave. We use ours for storing things such as bread and pretzels as i have limited amount of cabinets.

theups said...

I had to laugh out loud at this, Mrs. Pear!! I do agree that people will come over exactly when you don't want them to- like in the middle of deep cleaing a room!! LOL!!!

His,
Mrs. U

Blog Widget by LinkWithin