Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cake Decoration

I have always wanted to be able to decorate beautiful cakes.

I have the fancy pastry bag, but am not really sure how to use it, so I stumble along, and use it mostly to decorate gingerbread cookies.

For Miss Pear's actual birthday on Thursday I am making a Winnie the Pooh cake as I was able to get the pan on sale. I should be able to decorate it as it is just little star drops of icing and some straight lines - I can do that!

However, I am on the hunt for a good book on cake decorating! Any ideas or suggestions???

3 comments:

theups said...

Hi Mrs. Pear!!
I do hope that you show pictures of the cake once it is all decorated! What fun!

A lady in our church owns a very successful bakery near us. Her cakes not only taste heavenly, but they are BEAUTIFUL!! I asked her if she ever gave lessons and she just kind of laughed. She said that she feels WAY underqualified for lessons because she taught herself how to decorate cakes. She bought a Wilton book and took off from there!! She assures me it is super simple. She said the hardest part about learning was to remember to not eat all the icing or she'd make herself sick! LOL!!

His,
Mrs. U

Carey said...

If you can find the Wilton books, usually sold where you buy your wilton cake pans. They have great ideas in them.
I love to decorate cakes, ive been doing it for over 12 years(i just havent mastered the rose yet).
Good luck with you cake.

Anonymous said...

Michael's craft stores have fairly inexpensive decorating classes, but I'd just go with the Wilton book idea, too - or see if they have ideas on their site... it might be cheaper than buying a book.

Little hint: You don't have to by frosting tubes (the plastic that attaches to your tips?). Instead, snip the corner off a ziploc baggie, and use that. That way, when you have frosting left over, you can zip-lock it and put it in the fridge for cupcakes or whatever you make later.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin