Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thinking About Laundry

It has been an eventful two weeks on our street. We have had two dryer fires, the latest was yesterday afternoon at our immediate neighbors!

What was the most shocking is that she is rigorous about emptying the lint tray each time and vacuuming in the hole. Yet when the fireman pulled the front panel off the dryer it was lined in lint! The problem was not in the lint tray or the exhaust vent, it was in the dryer!

Needless to say that any time I had set aside to write the next hope chest post was consumed by the desire to help and the sheer panic of realizing that she takes better care of her dryer than I do! So my goal today is to find out how to properly and thoroughly clean the inside of my dryer! In my searching so far all I have been able to find is instruction about what I already do - clean the lint trap (including vacuuming inside that area), clean around the dryer, leave room around the dryer for air flow, and check the exhaust vent annually. Oh, and don't run it when you are not home! But how do you clean inside the dryer?

Any good tips? (Yes, I do empty the lint tray and vacuum inside, and no, I never run the dryer when I am not home!)

2 comments:

Lady Dorothy said...

FlyLady talks about this and sells a dryer cleaning kit at http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_dryer.asp. Having the right tools is sure to make the task more efficient! I bought the kit, but haven't used it, yet. Your post definitely gives me motivation!

Jen said...

You could also contact themanufacturer for instructions concerning the correct way to clean out your dryer. There might be a safe way to remove the front panel to vacuum it. I clean out our exhaust vent monthly instead of yearly. Okay, hubby does it for me...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin