Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Using Fresh from the Garden Cilantro

Today for Kitchen Tip Tuesday I thought I would share a valuable lesson I learned.

We had planted fresh cilantro in our garden, and when I went to use it in chili I was disappointed to see that I only had about half of what I would usually use when I bought fresh from the store. But I put it in and hoped for the best. I was shocked to discover that it was REALLY strong, almost too strong, and had killed a lot of the chili flavor, so I added more chili seasoning.

The lesson I learned is that when using fresh cilantro from your garden start with a quarter of what you usually need and slowly add. It is much more potent than the fresh stuff you buy in the store.

Trust me, your family will thank me on this one!

2 comments:

Dianna said...

Great advice! I haven't bothered growing it because I didn't know whether I could grow enough to use all at once, but now maybe I will try.

Minda said...

So it's not just me who thinks this! I had only bought cilantro once and it was from a fresh food stand. It was very fragrant and strong. A few weeks ago I bought some at the supermarket and I couldn't believe how 'weak' it was. I plan on growing some next summer. This year I have basil, rosemary and chives.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin