I posted about my advanced math here when I was trying to figure the resizing out so I would know how much wool to buy and how many stitches to cast on.
The original Honeycomb Lace pattern can be found here.
As with most free patterns it had some errors in it. And while that slowed me down tremendously at first, I got it figured out (with only one distress call). If you make this afghan, substitute the following lines for where it says lines 1-8 (starting and ending each row with 7 stitches in moss stitch of course).
Pattern Stitch:The other problem I had was that the cast on adjustments did not work, but apparently neither would the numbers they gave me, because I did increase by a multiple of 6. I think the cast on math should be 15 + 6 x (number of times through sequence to get desired width).
Row 1: p1, *k2 together, yo, k1, yo, s1, k1, psso, p1; rep from *
Row 2: k1, *p5, k1; rep from *
Row 3: p1, *k5, p1; rep from *
Row 4: Rep Row 2
Row 5: k1, yo, s1, k1, psso, *p1, k2 together, yo, k1, yo, s1, k1, psso; rep from * ending p1, k2 together, yo, k1
Row 6: p3, *k1, p5; rep from * ending k1, p3
Row 7: k3, *p1, k5; rep from * ending p1, k3
Row 8: Rep Row 6
After knitting for about a week and a half I have completed 6 and a half inches of the afghan, and it is approximately 35 inches wide (I will know better once more is knitted, but with the cast on problem it is a bit wider than I had anticipated...oh well, it will keep baby nice and warm.)
Regardless of the initial problems, I am very pleased with how it is knitting up and how it looks. I have figured out the markers of the pattern (so I know if I am off at all by how the stitches line up - in lines 1 and 5 the k1 in the sequence will be over the stitch that appears pearled), so that helps a lot. And the picture that accompanies the pattern does not do it justice in the least! Once I am done I will post a completed picture!
Knitting Goal: Completed in time to pack it in my hospital suitcase to use as a nursing cover in the hospital and coming home blanket if needed. (Back up plan - finished in time to be used once we pass the swaddling stage!)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





2 comments:
Hi Mrs. Pear :)
This is a pretty pattern! I am a new knitter but this looks fairly easy to do. One question: are you using circular needles? I ask because the woman who taught me to knit always used circular needles for bigger projects like afghans and blankets, etc. I see from a bit of research that it's not entirely necessary but it helps with the bulk of the weight. Just curious - I may try to do without, but for my first baby afghan (for my own child! :) ) I don't know if I want to mess it up.
Thanks!
Hi Vicky,
I am using circular needles, I find it easier for blankets! Plus, it is less enticing for little ones who what to learn to knit and are tempted to try on their own - they cannot pull them out!
It is an easier pattern from the stand point that if you can knit, and pearl you can do this!
Happy Knitting!
Post a Comment