So all that being said, I got to thinking.
First off, I am SO grateful that the Lord prompted me to begin shopping with coupons and sales over a year ago. It left me nicely stocked up and better prepared to deal with these increases. We have yet to increase our grocery/household budget, and all the diapers I have bought in anticipation of baby's arrival have fit into that budget (3 jumbo packs of NB, 5 jumbo packs of size 1, and 2 x 192 count boxes of size 1-2, all Pampers, plus wipes). I say this and note that my household goods are well stocked, except for toilet paper which I am watching for a sale on, and that my pantry is relatively well stocked. My freezer needs a bit of help, but I have not been to Costco yet this month for grocery shopping. (And I don't feel the need to do a huge freezer stock up before baby arrives as my MIL will be here to help, and will take over kitchen duties, when she leaves our church will bring meals every second day for two weeks, and then my mom will be here.)
Will I take a small break from CVS and my multiple store shopping for a month or two when baby arrives? Probably, but I am guessing that on most household items I could go well into November without making a purchase at this point, something I have been working hard on. The only exceptions I see are toilet paper, Kleenex, and possibly dishwasher detergent, but they are on my watch list for the rest of July and August.
The changes we have made in the past year and half in our spending habits have included:
- a set grocery budget each month, and stick to it!
- getting all our household (except diapers) to fit in there each month in addition to our groceries
- rigorously shopping sales and combining coupons (including CVS)
- doing without if it is not on sale (within reason, I will still always buy milk!)
- doing without in general on some items that were not as essential as we thought
- making all our own baked goods (except for when we are sick and need a little help, but I still try to have a stash in our freezer)
- not "stretching" when we bought our new home - we bought what we could afford.
- praying more diligently about our finances
- planting a garden of what we use the most and trying to learn about canning (I am hoping to learn how to make pickles this year!)
- being cautious in how we use our water etc, including collection the water that would just go down the sink when waiting for hot water for dishes - I give our fruit trees extra water this way!
- really focusing on using what we have rather than needing new or just running out and buying what strikes my fancy because we have the money.
- making better use of our leftovers and focusing on what we are throwing out so that we know where we are being wasteful.
- sharing and borrowing non-consumable goods with my neighbor rather than buying our own.
However, we did not need experts to tell us to make these changes, we were already making them when all the talking heads started expounding on the changes we should all make!
Unfortunately I see lots of families in our area who do not have any interest in making these kinds of changes. They just make do now trusting that the markets will recover and they will be able to pay of the debt they are racking up now, if their rebate check is already gone.
So do I think that these changes are lasting for us? Definitely!
Do I think that the majority of people will stick to the changes they are making now? Probably not, especially in Southern California.
What big changes have you made in your spending habits? Do you think they will be permanent changes?
Do you think people will stick to these new spending habits overall, or just a few of us?
For great Frugal Friday ideas, head on over to Crystal's!



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





7 comments:
We haven't made any big changes recently. Like you, we made changes several months ago, so I feel we've been protected from the rise in grocery and gas prices. I have been more agressive about stocking up...as well as sharing what we have! I think God attuned us to being more conservative financially so that we could share our abundance with others.
I do see a lot of people who seem to not be correcting bad spending habits. It will be so hard on them when the reality of those credit cards starts to sink in.
Whether it's the fact that I'm pregnant with our 4th or that money is tighter, we also eat out less. Not that we ate out a lot before, but now, we probably only eat out once or twice per month instead of once per week.
We've never been crazy with our money. We've always been fortunate enough to never really lack for anything, but it hasn't meant we just buy whatever (most of the time).
We carry no credit card debt. We try use coupons/sales/rebates when we shop. We don't buy a vehicle unless we can pay cash. We check, check, and double check prices for large ticket items and vacations.
I'm getting better at using up the leftovers in the frige before they turn green and fuzzy.
For us, it's all about ongoing lifestyle choices, instead of panicking when prices continue to rise.
We are like you, thankful for the provision of learning how to use coupons, buy on sale, stockup, and live frugally in as many areas as we can. Although, these last two months we have been going out to eat more than normal. Need to cut that out.
I'm sure CVS has a great deals each week, but I was looking at Walgreens, and there seems to be T.P. on sale this weekend. Found info. at Hotcouponworld.com
:)
not "stretching" when we bought our new home - we bought what we could afford.
this one is so difficult! i fell in love with a house, but it would mean an additional $400 which means we couldn't save for the acreage we really want in the future. living with in your means is never fun, but often rewarding!
I'm also very grateful for a well-stocked pantry, fridge and freezer! I'm even okay with shampoo and other toiletries because of stockpiling over the past few years, using coupons and sales. Between supermarkets and drug stores, I shop at 5 or 6 different places. CVS, Walgreen's and Rite-Aid are all within the same block, so I try to do them together--when I bother going to them at all. Lately, I have enough of this or that to skip some stores entirely. I'm really trying to work with what I already have, excepting fresh food like milk or fruit. (BTW, Walgreen's sometimes has good milk deals. If you have a Target, check it out--around here, milk is a dollar cheaper there.) The one thing I'm sorry I've run out of is butter--I'm down to my last half stick. I sure hope it goes on sale soon so I can restock my freezer, LOL!
You have done incredibly well... on planning.. I am really impressed. I wish I would of been in that state of mind last year when I was pregnant.. but I couldn't hardly think.. Thanks for your post.. it was really thought provoking!
We have made a lot of changes since I came home FT a year ago.
One of them is a lot less eating out. Our grocery budget also includes our household and personal items. Each month I put aside $100 off the top and challenge myself to get through the month without it.
Occassionaly I have had to tap into it but a lot of months not. It has then left $ available to do the birthday dinner out or the random lunch with friends after church.
It has also left us extra $ to now be able to use on our vacation in a couple of weeks.
Being self employeed on commission leaves some months tighter than others so I am determined to continue this practice of challenging myself to take a portion off the top to set aside.
We also have no debt except the house! So grateful! WHEW!!
Curious, are you a grocery gamer? i just signed up this week for the month trial.
I would love to talk to you about it!!! :-)
Post a Comment