Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sewing To Do Pile and Decisions

Lately I have had a revelation on my whole crafting to do piles. You see, I LOVE to craft, and it seems like there is always another pattern turning my head, another thing I just have to try, and another need that can be filled much better if I do it myself. The result is the crafting to do pile.

Here is just the pile by my sewing machine:

From the top down you see the green napkins I am making for Miss Pear's Hope Chest (I put something away each birthday, and I started with her first birthday)

Then you see the two blue fabrics which will make a set of 6 reversible placemats, with matching napkins. The dark blue was also used to make a regency apron for me, and one is in the works for Miss Pear.

At the bottom you can see the pink cherry blossom fabric that was a gift last year for Christmas that is the start of an Edwardian Apron. Not that it would currently fit my growing tummy!

You can also see my two measuring tapes - treasured toys of Miss Pear, who always returns them!

You can also see a couple patterns - believe it or not I have the fabric and patterns to make 3 dresses for Miss Pear but they can be made in her next two sizes, it is not like the fabric will only work for her current size.

There are also two apron patterns cut out in the closet to be sewn up - my MIL cut them the last time she was here for matching mommy daughter aprons so that I could just sit down and stitch when I had time.

So my sewing to do list alone is massive. And I have been feeling bad about that. But this pregnancy has not been the easiest. I get out of bed in the morning only because a sweet little one is awake too and needs me. So our mornings go slow. I try to do some housework and do what I can to start supper. And we MUST play and read - although Miss Pear loves to follow me around the house and do whatever I do, except vacuum, she thinks it is all a game, and I have worked hard to teach her that. After lunch we nap, and I am more than ready for it. And after nap I often feel pretty low. And feel like I am counting down to Mr. Pear returning home from work. So finding extra time to craft and sew has not been a top priority.

So a decision has been reached. Actually a couple.

1. As long as there are children under the age of 5 in the house crafting will be hard to schedule in because my family and their needs will always trump crafts, even when the crafts are for them!

2. When I feel the need to shop for crafting supplies I will do it online or in my stash, and not buy more! Unless there is a real need, not just an, "Oooh, I LOVE that!"

3. I will just keep plodding through my projects, finishing them as I can.

4. I will work hard to finish Miss Pear's afghan (it is so sweet, she picked out the wool and color), and an afghan for baby. Then there will be no more deadline driven projects! No, "Oh, I must make this for so and so for this occasion!"

5. I will finish sewing in the tails on the stack of knit dish clothes I have finished, and then set them aside for the appropriate occasions.

6. When I am working on a project for a specific person I will not count on it being ready for a gift until it is actually done! No more racing pressure projects.

7. I will have good attitude towards all my crafting projects so that my children see the value and blessing of them, and are eager to learn - already Miss Pear is begging me to teach her to knit!

Next up in the crafting tour is that stack of dish clothes.....

How do you manage your crafting to do pile? Am I the only one with this epidemic?

1 comment:

Jen said...

This is SO the Lord to read this post at this hour! I've been working feverishly on our children's bedrooms upstairs. Our guest room is being turned into baby #4's room for the Fall and when I opened the closet, I realized with a heavy heart that all of my crafting items have been sitting in there, unattended, for many months. There is so little time! And, I've never really carved out an appropriate place to work. I was feeling pretty low, knowing that many of my items are either going to be boxed away for a far-in-the-future date or possibly donated to another crafter in our church body. I liked your list. I was feeling very guilty about not accomplishing my crafts...but little ones are so much more important!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin