Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Heart Blanket

I learned to knit after Miss Pear was born, and I have loved it! Now I am finally knitting her an afghan. It is the Easy Heart Baby Blanket pattern with a few minor adjustments.

I am using Lavender Velvetspun wool and the appropriately larger needles so that the blanket will be a bigger size more suited to an almost 3 year old. (4 balls per pattern +1, so doing the pattern 5 times means you need 21 balls of wool - be sure to get yours with Michaels and Joanne's coupons like I did or it can very expensive, and it might be plus 2, I am not certain yet). I picked this wool because every time we were even near the wool Miss Pear would find it and cuddle it because it is so soft. She would literally carry it around the store with her! So technically I guess you could say she picked out the yarn - we start 'em early in our family!

The last variation is that the way the pattern is written you do not get the block look like in the pictures of the pattern, you get "columns" of hearts, which is not what I wanted, so on my pattern Row 24 now reads "repeat rows 2-6, then knit 8 rows, begin pattern again at row 1" and that seems to have fixed the problem I was having.

Oh, did you want to see my progress?

I have almost 3 patterns done, and expect to do 5 or 6.



(An up close shot so that you can maybe see the heart, which is textured, not a different color. I love the subtly). Now that I look at this more closely I see that I will likely have to do 6 patterns, but I will finish the 5 I have wool for before I make a decision on that!

And to encourage me in my knitting, Miss Pear is always asking if it is for her, petting it and saying how soft it is, and helping me by unrolling wool for me. It is a real mommy and daughter project. Plus she has declared that she really wants to learn to knit too.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin