....at least until this child is born.
It seems like when I read and I am pregnant things freak me out, get in my head and refuse to leave, or just outrage me. I have been meaning to post this for a while, but this is the first day I have actually felt like I could manage - I think I almost have this sinus infection beat!)
I am not even going to link to this malarky because it does not deserve the traffic, and it would mean I would have to go the magazine site, I refuse! But I was reading an older magazine recently in the doctor's office about baby pools, and it both upset me and got me thinking.
Now to be honest, the first time around we hosted a baby pool. Free to get in, open to our friend and my husbands co-workers only, and you won bragging rights, nothing more. You had to pick delivery date, weight, and gender. We may do it again with the same rules, just for fun, but I am having second thoughts after reading that article. We mainly did it because everyone was speculating and guessing because we did not know if we were having a boy or a girl. Plus our friends were asking every day about us, so it kind of shifted their focus to teasing who missed the date already (which is nice when your back feels like it is breaking, you are huge, and you have to say yet again that there is no news, but if this child does not come soon.....)
But this article that is making me give up reading was about a family who hosted a baby pool, open to anyone who wanted in, and charged people to enter it, and then kept half the money and gave half back in prizes. Is it just me or does this seem kind of sleazy. I just cannot see gambling on your children! I cannot remember what they did with the money, I don't think the article said. And it was the parents who did it, not someone else on their behalf who then gave them the money.
But here is my question, is the "free just for fun amongst friends pool" just as bad as the "money pool"? Is it sleazy to make money on your baby this way or am I just oversensitive?
What do you think?
Oh, and am I the only pregnant woman to consider giving up reading? :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





3 comments:
oi!!! I'm old-school where you don't throw your own baby or wedding or housewarming shower and neither do your parents. I think if you are that hard up for cash for your baby, maybe it's time to take a look at the family finances and cut back somewhere or learn to live without. Isn't the greatest reward the child itself? I mean, wouldn't those parents feel just so WEIRD when they looked at their beautiful baby and realized they had profited from his or her arrival?!
I think your kind of baby pool is a swell idea and serves a wonderful purpose of distraction at a time when distraction is of the UTMOST importance:)
I say: boy. 8lbs 1 oz., 20 inches, born September 19th in the afternoon. (I choose "boy" because I think 'Master Pear' is about the cutest title ever!)
I think there's nothing wrong with people guessing facts about the baby. The money is just weird, though. Of course I don't believe in betting at all.
When I was pregnant, I eventually stopped reading stuff because I was so bombarded with advice that I wouldn't be able to live anymore if I took it all. Eventually I found one or two sources that I trusted and frequented those. None of them were magazines. ;)
Personally, I dislike the idea of a baby pool of any sorts for *myself*, but I might feel different if my pregnancy history were not as rotten as it is. If I were doing a baby pool, I would have to have everybody bet on if my baby would "cook" until full-term, or be healthy if another preemie. While a bit comical in a morbid sort of sense, certainly not something anybody would want to bet on. ;o)
And, no, you are certainly not the only pregnant woman to give up reading! I still do not read hardly any parenting books, no magazines other than Mothering, and Peapod is eighteen months old! All the information is just too much to process--truly an overload in the real sense of that word. None of us need that, but least of all busy mothers!! :o)
Post a Comment