Well, we had a heat wave this weekend, and it looks like it has broken, finally, today. It is hard to think about how hot it is here and then think of other parts of the country still under snow!
But it has me thinking. I had said that I was going to work this winter to compile a list of recipes for hot days. Either dishes served cold, salads, or things that could be made in the slow cooker, but ideally things that could be served cold. This way I would not be scrambling at the last minute or serving sandwiches with veggies, again.
While we do love to barbecue, in a true heatwave here, it is actually too hot to barbecue, shocking I know!
So on to my mini list, such as it is:
We love pasta salad! But you can only eat so much! (My recipe is literally cook pasta, toss with Italian salad dressing or vinaigrette of your choice while hot, toss in assortment of veggies and maybe some chicken, cool and serve)
Another one of my favorites is the Cold Plate. You just assemble on the plate:
- Salads of your choice (potato, pasta, coleslaw, whatever)
- Cold meat (with appropriate cold sauce if need be) Cold fried chicken is always good and most people don't seem to think of that!
- Cold beans (I still cannot eat "pork and beans" hot! You can also make beans with chunks of wieners inside, affectionately known as beanie weanies.)
- Assorted fruit cut up, or veggies are great too!
As you can tell these two recipes are highly methodical! And you can probably also tell that I need help in this area to get more ideas!
So, could you help a girl out? What cold meals do you love? (Please include the recipes or links if possible!) Do you have a go-to list like this or is it just me struggling with Southern California summer heat?




![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





2 comments:
This isn't really a "recipe," but rather a little trick I stumbled on during my last pregnancy during a looong, hot summer. When we grill out steak or chicken, I have hubby make a couple of extra pieces. I then cut them into strips (if they aren't already small pieces). I label and date them and toss them into the freezer. Then, when I want a hearty but cool dinner, I make a nice big leaf salad with tomatoes and mandarin oranges and pecans or almonds and toss some of this grilled meat on top. It's delicious! And, super easy to do! Even my three girls love this meal. Sometimes we have bread with the salad, and sometimes not but either way it's very satisfying:)
Ack, I just wrote a pretty long comment and then it disappeared! I'll try again.
For me there are two important things about summer cooking: not using much heat (because it heats up the house) and eating something cool and refreshing.
We had no air conditioning for the first two years we were married in hundred-degree heat (and I was pregnant for one summer!). I was just looking through my giant Word document full of recipes and I found some summer menus I made up. I don't think you want me posting a million recipes in your comments, so if you want any, just let me know and I'll send them along. Many of them are easily found online, though, although of course I think my versions are pretty good. :)
Menu 1
Gazpacho
French Bread
Garlic Dipping Oil
Menu 2
Tabbouleh
Cheese Cubes
Menu 3
Big Sandwich (loaf of French bread made into a sandwich)
Fruit
Menu 4
Chef Salad
Menu 5
Nachos
Fruit Salad
Menu 6
Chinese Cabbage Salad
Gelatin with Whipped Cream
Menu 7
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Pita Bread
Menu 8
Southwest Layered Salad
Menu 9
Couscous Cucumber Salad
Menu 10
Dilled Chicken Salad
Coleslaw
Biscuits
Menu 11
Pork Tacos
Menu 12
Cool Veggie Pizza
Menu 13
Marvin Joes
Salad
Menu 14
Spiced Greens with Cottage Cheese
Tortillas
Menu 15
Hamburgers
Menu 16
Hawaiian Haystack
Menu 17
Black Bean Salad
Quesadillas
Post a Comment