Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker and Granola Oatmeal



A couple years ago we were given a fuzzy logic rice cooker for Christmas, and might I say that while I was appreciative of the gift at the time, I was not nearly as appreciative as I should have been. It makes consistently good rice, has a timer that lets you get your rice ready up to 24 hours in advance, and also lets you steam veggies, slow cook, make soup and oatmeal, and warm up rice.

This little appliance has been much maligned as expensive and unnecessary, I disagree, especially if you can get it as a gift or used!

Gone are the days of last minute panic that I forgot to start the rice at the right time, or burned it, or some other catastrophe. Gone are the days of Minute Rice saving my bacon! Now when I get as much of supper prepared in the morning as possible, that includes the rice too! I just put all the ingredients in and set the time I want it finished at!

A nice bonus is all the yummy breakfast options, like our favorite:

Granola Oatmeal
(our cookbook naturally falls open to this one!)

1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned, not quick cooking)
3/4 cup granola
2 1/2 cups water
8 dried apple rings, or other dried fruit

Serve with maple syrup, and milk (or substitute brown sugar for the syrup)

Place the first 4 ingredients in your rice cooker, set it to the porridge or soup cycle and let it go. Let steam on keep warm for 10 minutes, will keep on the keep warm cycle up to 2 hours.

I will often make this for lunch during the winter, it is good for 2 week day lunches for Miss Pear and I, and it warms up beautifully.

I have to say that the rice cooker is one of my very best kitchen tips, and definitely helps me stay organized and on top of things when preparing supper. Often when we are having company and I am serving rice it is one of the very first things I get done!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin