My kitchen looks well loved at the moment. But all the dishes are running through the dishwasher, and the fruits of my labor are lined up neatly on the counter - 9 and a half pints of million dollar relish.
While this may not seem like a big deal when so many skilled women are canning quart after quart of gardeny goodness, I did not grow up with canning or even gardening. This is my very first attempt at relish, and all the jars sealed but one stubborn little one that I stuck in the fridge, hoping that it will relent.
So after our naps I will wash the floor, and again rejoice in the site of my 9 pint jars and one little jar of relish.
Next year I hope to grow my own cucumbers for relish and pickles (next years "first"), but this year our canning cucumbers were purchased from a local farmers market.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





4 comments:
Congratulations! Canning is so rewarding. My first attempt at canning was cherry jelly--my mom left home and the cherries were on . . . my sister and I made probably 50 half-pints. When my mom came home she informed us that she hadn't been planning to turn the whole tree into jelly. :)
You've got to start somewhere or you won't go anywhere! My first canning was jelly and OH! the stories I can tell. I did jelly for a few years and then tried other things. It is always very nice to get done and look at the rows of jars. :-D
I've been canning for years,and that is exactly how I started! the satisfaction of seeing those full cans of food will get you totally addicted to canning, I warn you!
Well done!
Congratulations! There are few things more satisfying than accomplishing canning on your own for the first time. My first time by myself was this year as well, and I'm gearing up for another jelly session next week. I canned with my grandmother when I was younger. Make sure you leave those jars out for a couple of days so you can walk by and look at them with a satisfied smile. There are few things better in life.
Post a Comment