Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Supermarket Savings Even without Coupons

While I already posted about this class when I first heard the tremendous price it was going to be offered for, I wanted to finish my thoughts on it with a kind of part 2!

As many of you know, my family lives in Canada. Actually Mr. Pear and I met in Canada and moved down here after we were married. Since then I have been talking to family and friends up there and usually the topic of the cost of groceries comes up, and we all lament it. One thing I often hear from my friends is that it is easier for me to save money living in California because we get coupons in the mail and the papers. I always try to protest that the coupons are not my key savings, they are the icing on the cake, that my key savings come from savvy planning and shopping, and no one believes me! Except Crystal, because she teaches how to do it with great skill in her Supermarket Savings 101.

In this class she walks you right through the thought process, the planning process, and then the actual shopping. Crystal also provides 6 ebooks as part of the class that helped me tremendously! Couponing is talked about, but is focused on only in the last portion. So if you don't have coupons in your area, but still want to learn to save money in your groceries, I highly recommend this class.

One great shopping trip that I was able to put together while I was taking the class was the shopping trip where I spent $33.89 on $115.16 in groceries, savings of 71%. However, $66.31 of those savings are directly attributed to store promotions and sales (one or two flier coupons were part of that)! Clipped coupons from the newspaper and other sources were only $14.95 and most of those were doubled.

So while coupons help you save that bit more, it is the planning and shopping the sales that make the biggest difference, and Crystal will definitely get you headed in the right direction, as well as give you the confidence that you can do this, and you will keep getting better at it as you practice! I just did not want anyone to think that this was all about couponing, and if you did not have coupons you could not learn lots. This class is mostly focused on the planning stages (including menu and shopping) as that is where you can get the most savings, plan well, and stick to the plan! And Crystal definitely makes you feel like you can easily start saving your family money!

2 comments:

Desia said...

Mrs. Pear, I think groceries are cheaper in the US. My husband recently told me of a new colleague, form the US whose wife says she is surprised at how much more groceries cost here (in Canada). She plans to go cross-border shopping once a month, we’re only two or so hours from the US-Canada border. Also, when I saw Crystal’s recent copies of some groceries she had bought, I was surprised at the low prices!
Aside from that, I admit that I could do much better when grocery shopping.
My sister is becoming a SAHM; one-income family soon, and I think I may sign her up for Crystal’s course. (I wonder though if it will be applicable in countries outside North America, will ask Crystal.)

Mrs. Pear said...

Desia,

I think it completely depends on the part of the country you live in.

Living in California, if I am not careful, I could easily spend more down here than I would in a Canadian store (speaking from experience!) But those folks in the northern states sure have some great deals! Definitely worth crossing the border now with the strengthening Canadian dollar!

Happy Shopping!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin