Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thoughts on Leviticus

I finished Leviticus last night, and despite it's reputation of being hard to read and difficult to understand, I really enjoyed it, again. I have had a whole new perspective on Leviticus since I studied it in BSF 7 years ago (wow, was it really that long ago?). We studied it as part of the Life of Moses study which is beginning again in September, and I cannot say enough about BSF's dedication to the clear teaching of God's Word and teaching people to study for themselves or the study on the Life of Moses.

Anyways, as I was reading, I was struck by three things.

1. In the first few chapters where sacrifices are being discussed a key phrase keeps reappearing in the NKJV, and that phrase refers to the offerings as a "sweet aroma" to the Lord. And it got me thinking about it in terms of my daily life, my daily tasks, are they a sweet aroma to the Lord or just something to get done. I would like to think that they are a sweet aroma, but know that sometimes my attitude is...um...lacking. Definitely something to work on here.

2. Kind of in tune with that was the way the Israelites, specifically Moses and Aaron responded. "Just as the Lord commanded." They were obedient to the letter in the method, there was no quibbling or whining, they just did what God said, even the hard stuff. Yup, lesson here too.

3. Leviticus 11. There are so many things I understand better in the Bible now that I am a mom, and this chapter is one of them. Is it just me, or does this somehow sound like the modern equivalent of, "Eeew, don't eat that, it's gross!"

On a side note, I was wondering two things as I typed this up:

1. Do you avoid and skip Leviticus the same way that I used to, or skim it when you get to it just to get through it?

2. Does each member of your family read the same translation of the Bible or are you all different? (We are all different here as we ended up getting a children's translation for Miss Pear, but I guess that she and baby will have the same translation, so we will be 4 people, 3 translations...)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Our church studies chapter by chapter, verse by verse (Calvary Chapel) so when we get to Leviticus, we will study it. It isn't where the Lord had me right now, but I wouldn'tbe afraid to study it.
In our family, DH reads NKJV and I read NASB. We both used to read NIV ages ago, early inour walks. We use NIV for memory work with our kids because it's easy to understand and recall. But, they study NKJV because it's what is used in Sunday School. Guess I'm the weirdo in our family, but I really love this translation.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin