Friday, August 22, 2008

Cherry Tomato Overload

Remember when I said that the tomatoes were producing and that I had accidentally double fertilized them? Well, we are at risk of being overwhelmed with cherry tomatoes - such a hardship! :-)



We are eating them and enjoying them heartily! But for Frugal Friday this week I wanted to share with you a very inexpensive pasta sauce recipe that is only good this time of year and only with fresh off the vine cherry tomatoes (we are enjoying the sweet baby girl variety!)

Pasta Fasta

2 cups of fresh cherry tomatoes washed, dried, and halved (quartered if they are big)
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tbsp dried basil (adjust to your liking, and substitute fresh if your garden is giving you that)
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (I usually just do this at the table as the tomatoes have not needed the salt and pepper is iffy for Miss Pear)

Mix the above ingredients together in the morning, cover, and let marinade on the counter all day, stirring occasionally.

At supper time cook enough pasta for 2-4 according to package directions, drain, return to pot, and toss with marinaded tomatoes (scraping bowl for all that yumminess). Toss well and serve warm.

If you want you could add shredded mozzarella cheese, but we never do and don't miss it!

We figure that last night's supper for three, which will also be enough for tonight's supper as I apparently had a heavy pasta hand, cost all of about $1, total.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Mmmm...sounds good!

FYI--we're having our baby Monday AM (5 weeks earlier than planned)and we will be out of commission for a few weeks. I'll probably miss the big announcement when your little one arrives, but know that I will continue to pray for her safe arrival.

rachel said...

This is perfect! I have an ice cream bucket full of cherry tomatoes on my counter and didn't know what to with them all!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin