Sunday, March 28, 2010

Vocabulary

It has come to my attention that I may have to stop saying dude.

Not that I say it very often.

If I want to be a Canadian Californian I can say, "'eh, dude."

Yes, I still say 'eh after almost 11 years of living outside Canada.

But I live in Southern CA where even the most polished of women use this phrase, particularly if they have been born and raised here. It is often used by mothers when speaking to naughty children such as, "Dude, what were you thinking?" It is particularly funny to see moms dressed in their Sunday best pull this word out.

But I may need to weed it out of my vocabulary.

We will see.

What phraseologies mark your location?

1 comment:

StrivingSimply said...

I live on the east coast and I use that one with my students all the time: "Dude, come on. You didn't do your homework again?" For me, it feels like it softens what a lot of kids would feel is being yelled at.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin