I am on the hunt! Amongst my friends I am known for my shopping skills - finding the teapot for a wedding gift no one else could, finding the best children's books, knowing the good sales and grocery deals, knowing when to buy what produce because it is perfectly in season etc.So I am somewhat shocked to admit I am at a loss. Yes, you heard me, I need something and don't know where to start looking, don't have a list to work off of, and don't know where to find said list.
I even tried the library and struck out!
You see, I am on the hunt for a list of excellent read alouds for my girls. Both will sit and listen to chapter books, and I would like to encourage that! We have always made it a point to read both at and above our children's reading level, and it is wonderful!
But my list of read alouds is mighty meager.
So please help me out!
What are your favorite read alouds?
Do you have a favorite read aloud list you refer to regularly?
Don't worry if they are to up there for our girls, I am looking for good reading material for me too! I mean...I would love to have lots of time to preview them! Yeah, that's it!



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





14 comments:
When we first began building our children's library, we often referred to The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. Their library has grown quickly and now includes 1000+ books purchased mostly second-hand. Some of their favorites include Two Cool Cows by Toby Speed, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems, Moosetache by Margie Palatini and the "Little House" series.
Love Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook, also love Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. We are using Before Five in a Row for our preschool homeschool this year and Five in a Row next year, the book lists are on their website and they are wonderful. Hope this helps.
Oh, yea! I can help you with this. I don't know the ages of your girls, but it doesn't matter.
Order the Sonlight catalog promptly. It has TONS of amazing books. I mean it. Books you want to buy as gifts. Books you never forget. You can look through the catalog and pick based on age and topic.
Secondly, buy Honey for a Child's Heart. Super reference.
Reading aloud is one of my all time favorite things.
blessings,
GfG
Oh, by Sonlight I mean this:
www.sonlight.com
Books my mother read to me:
My Father's Dragon series
Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little by EB White
The Saturdays series and Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright
The Moffats series by Eleanor Estes
Here are some on my list that we have read to our children:
How to Train your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (very funny!)
Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series by Metty macDonald
Harry Potter series (of course)
Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
My side of the Mountain by Gean George
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Rascal by Sterling North
The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling
Frindle by Andrew Clements
The Barn by Avi
Sounder by William H. Armstrong
The Secret Garden by Tasha Tudor
Goodnight Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian
The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Oliver by Charles Dickens
The Cay by Theodore Taylor
Great Authors: Gary Paulsen
Sid Fleischman
How's that?
Leave a comment on my site if I can help further!
http://handbagsandsuch.blogspot.com
Definitely the Little House books! They might also like The Boxcar Children. And my personal favorite: A Little Princess by Frances Hodges Burnett!
I just remembered, if you are LDS,I have some other great books to add to the list.
Hi, I hopped over here from WFMW and just HAD to comment. I've just started read alouds with my 5 y/o son and we adore it! Sometimes my 2 y/o son also sits for a few minutes to listen! Here is a list I compiled for us to start with:
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Boxcar Children (there are TONS in the series)
Little House on the Prairie
Stewart Little
Charlotte's Web
James and the Giant Peach
Where the Red Fern Grows
Chronicles of Narnia
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Trumpet of the Swan
Indian in the Cupboard
Mr. Mysterious
Anne of Green Gables series
Emily of New Moon series
The Hobbit
My girls are two and six. But the two year old has a pretty long attention span for her age.
They've been enjoying:
The Magic Tree House Series
the fairy books in the Rainbow Magic series
Junie B Jones (although *I* don't like them because Junie isn't a very good role model).
Box Car Children
Baby Sitter's Club Little Sister series
Thank you so much for all the WONDERFUL suggestions!
Some of them we knew, some are new to us, and I have a long list for the library now!
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help!
Ramona series and other books by Beverly Cleary
Famous Five series by Enid Blyton
Trixie Belden mystery stories (she's the girl detective, not the author--I think the author is Kathryn Kenny?)
Folktales from the Japanese Countryside edited by Fran Stallings
Miss Osborne-the-Mop by Wilson Gage
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Jenny and the Cat Club by Esther Averill
anything by Ruth Chew (if you don't object to "magic")
I've also found comic strip anthologies wonderful for reading to my son, who's 4. Click on my name for more about that.
My son has loved the Wizard of Oz series by L Frank Baum. Most people don't know that there are about a dozen Oz books. I got sick of them long before he did.
Post a Comment