Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Signature Cake

If you ever doubted I was a little bit on the nutty side, this post ought to about seal the deal.

I come from a long, long, long line of women who can cook like no body's business. Really, we are known for the meals we can make. I would have been the third generation to manage an eating establishment, a formal one, not the household one, had I not decided to be a homemaker.

For generations my family was bakers. Except in the generation before mine, something happened, and for the love of all that is good, do not eat cookies my Aunt makes!

But I do fairly well in baking (my neighbor would fall over laughing if she read that statement and say that if I am fairly well that does not bode well for the rest of them), but in my opinion I do fairly well.

I have a roll recipe that when we are invited to friends and I ask what to bring, I am always told, "Rolls!" And I never have any delusions of bringing home the leftovers.

I have a spaghetti sauce recipe that always works, is always a hit, and freezes like a dream. When I am taking a meal to help someone out, I take that most of the time unless they hate pasta.

I have a reliable repertoire of guest meals that work consistently and get rave reviews. Same with the family meals, and cookies.

But for the life of me I cannot find a signature cake. A go to recipe that I can rely on no matter what that is delicious, on the easier side, and a constant success (and does not involve a box mix).

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Dianna said...

I've really been enjoying this cake lately. I'm still looking for some other flavors to add to my recipe box, though. I can't wait to see others' suggestions.

Jen said...

Try picking up some older cookbooks at yard sales etc. They usually have TONS of great recipes for cakes and frostings. And, if the book doesn't generate a winner, you can let Miss Pear cut out the photos or donate the book to charity when you are finished. I found a silver-white cake recipe in one that is a dream for birthday parties as well as an old applesauce cake that is a hot request very Fall, especially when made with my homemade applesauce. I've also used an old fashioned carrot-pineapple cake recipe...yumm-o! Happy hunting!

JJ (Lady Di) said...

You can check out myrecipes.com The best thing is that Southern Living's recipes are there (Sunset and Cooking Light magazines are there too along with a bunch of others). I have a Cold Stove Pound Cake that I will type up for you. I will admit that my sister is the dessert baker in the family - I do the breads. I do make them, but usually stick to just a few; cheesecake, pound cake, brownies, carrot cake, cupcakes and biscotti.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin