Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Making Baby Food

For a lot of reasons we have chosen to make our own baby food. When we asked our pediatrician about it when Miss Pear was born (after getting lots of flack about wanting to do that from other moms) he said that the only thing better than making our own baby food with fruits and veggies bought from the store would be to first grow them ourselves in the backyard. Baby's pediatrician is on board too. (Yes, we did talk to them about it because making what is in season means deviating from the suggested schedule of foods...not that it would bother us, but we try not to deliberately antagonize the doctors we love plus we wanted to see what advice they might have...besides a thumbs up!)

My method is extremely complicated. Prep veggies or fruit. Steam them. Puree them (adding a bit of the steaming water if needed for consistency). Freeze them.

Yup, like I said, you might want to take notes!

Any ways, sometimes things come up that I am not sure about. Such as how long do you steam pears for?

I didn't know.

So I searched on swagbucks. (surely you are using swagbucks so that you too can get free book money?)

And found this gem of a site on making homemade baby food! While I have only followed their time for steaming pears, there are some great ideas on there I would like to try!

4 comments:

Jen said...

We do that, too, though I only puree what we are eating that evening for a veggie and I still buy other fruits to supplement our bananas. Our boy is QUITE the eater, though, so it's a job to keep up with him right now!

Donnetta said...

So glad you posted this! So far I've been relying on buying the baby food, but now that our schedule is falling more into place I'm ready to start doing more of this type of thing! Thanks!

Robin-Taine said...

I have 5 kids. I fed the first 3 store-bought baby food. With the fourth it occurred to us that we could make our own. Baby 5 is 8 months and, other than the purchased baby cereal, I am pureeing away for her as well. Easy, cheap and well worth the effort!

Myrnie said...

Our current baby ate bottle food for about a week (to use up what was in the cupboard) and then started eating table food. She LOVES it!

Today we pureed an avocado and mango together (you can add yogurt, but she's sensitive to dairy.) I thought she was going to leap out of her high chair trying to get at the spoon. Thanks for the link- I'm excited to try it out!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin