Friday, April 3, 2009

Because sometimes life is like gravity...

...and gravity sucks.

This is a longstanding joke in our family. It is a way of saying that life is hard and I need a laugh, because really, can you say that with a straight face? Yeah, we have a strange sense of humor around here.

Just to emphasize the point, did you see this post about cakes? Yup, and after posting that, yesterday afternoon I made a cake...from a box...and made the icing from scratch...so that it would be thick and I could scrape the bowl to eat the extra...hey, I did give my older daughter the spatula to lick, and my littlest a clean spatula to play with.... (Not one of my finer moments, but we were all very happy).

Wednesday I had a pounding headache, the start of a doozy of a tension headache, the kind my doctor actually says to treat with caffeine (long story, tried tons of methods, caffeine is the only thing that works without super powerful yucky not for nursing mothers medication). Yeah, I was shocked too. So I opened up a can of coke because it was the quickest thing I could find and it was already messing with my vision, poured it into a glass, and for what is sure to get me the mommy of the year award, I then washed the can, covered the opening with a cotton ball and masking tape and gave it to baby to play with in her high chair while we did dishes. Okay, I did dishes while she was mesmerized by that shiny red thing.

Honestly, nothing significant went wrong this week, but honestly, nothing went really right either, and everything just seemed tough.

Why do I share this?

I assure you, not to whine.

But I guess I have.

The point is, being a mom is not an easy job. Caring for your family, and I mean really caring for them, is hard work. There are days when nobody listens and if you were silly enough to ask your kids if they were raised in a barn they would probably say that it sounds like fun, let's try it.

Yeah, there are days like that.

But when life is tough, I remind myself that I am blessed to have 2 girls to care for. When I miscarried between them I remember feeling very little sympathy for a friend who was lamenting the chore of caring for two because I would have done almost anything for that "problem." I have never forgotten that, and I am thankful everyday for our 2 girls.

And I remind myself that my Heavenly Father is my example of how to be an exceptional parent, not the worldly experts or wannabe experts.

Which makes me think that if He is putting up with me (a gargantuan task!) I have a very small task of caring for little girls who love me and think that I am a genius (yes, Miss Pear called me that), and that I can fix anything with a snuggle (Baby would assure you of this, if she could talk). And God is there each step of the way with us leading us and teaching us.

Sometimes a little perspective makes a huge difference, and an eternal one changes a week.

So the point of this long and meandering post is simple: Yup, life is hard. God is faithful. Children are fun. Families are great. Chocolate cake fixes a lot. Prayer always helps. And today is Friday, praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh, you made my afternoon! After a loooong week, it's good to be reminded that motherhood can sometimes be a both a common ailment as well as a common treatment for what ails us.

And I let Samuel play with pieces of paper, a small orange, a cardboard tube, the remote (his favorite), and a wet wash cloth. We do what we must to keep the peace sometimes...

Praying for a better week! Hosanna to the King of Kings!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin