Our upright freezer was completely out of control. I had lost track of it while pregnant, and then my MIL riffled through it to find stuff and left it in a way that I could not find things I knew were in there. So desperate measures were called for.
I set up a card table beside the freezer and started sorting.
The top shelf is now for baking only. This naturally includes baked items and items that are ready to be pulled from the freezer and baked - such as cookies. And ice cream on the right so it does not get too hard.
The next shelf down is for prepared meals. Both left overs and freezer meals.
The next shelf down is for meat on the left and extra meal space on the right or miscellaneous.
The bottom shelf is for cheese on the left and all other things on the right.
The door is for veggies, butter, and other baking supplies.
Now all I have to do is make a chart for the front of the freezer so that anyone messing in there knows where stuff goes rather than just shoving it wherever it fits, which happens more than I care to admit.
I love using my freezer to help me care for my family, but it only works if I can find stuff. Unfortunately, like many women, I had completely lost track of what was where! But just like the rest of the house, a little organization goes a long way in the freezer.
Now I feel ready to tackle freezer cooking again!
Click over to Tammy's for more Kitchen Tips!
Click over to Mrs. Dryer's for WFMW!
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





4 comments:
I like the idea of a "map" for the front of the freezer. We used ot have a small cube freezer before we were given an upright (which I prefer!) and I used to keep a write on/wipe off board of the wall obove it with a running list of the contents. When I pulled something out, I ammended the list. It made for easier planning and I didn't have ot rifle through the entire cube to figure out if any chicken had slipped to the bottom etc.
I have a little chest freezer but no matter how many times I organize it and make a chart of whats in there I forget to mark it off and have to rifle through it. I also have the same problem with my canning cupboard. I wish I had an upright.
My upright freezer is small and it is still out of control. I blame it on my husband who is usually the one that goes out to our detached garage to place items in it. If "I" would get some baskets and label them he would do a much better job. So I guess it's as much my fault. You've spurred me into action and that will be my next project.
What a great idea. I just reorganized the freezer last week but I should post something so everyone knows where everything is, including me when I forget in 2 weeks!
Post a Comment