Throughout our pregnancy and recover and adjustment the freezer has been our friend with well packed goodness to thaw and bake or thaw and eat.
Never was I so grateful though as the weekend Baby was in the hospital. We did not know that all my meals would be provided, so Mr Pear raided our freezer packing me a snack bag of muffins and granola bars. Even though I did not need them for breakfast and lunch, they were fabulous midnight snacks!
This week I need to begin replenishing the freezer baking. We are low on cookies, muffins/loaves/granola bars (for breakfasts), and hamburger buns.
We were not able to go to Church on Sunday, Baby was still needing the quiet, so after nap time Miss Pear and I played in the kitchen, something that has been much harder to do since Baby arrived.
We made two batches of cookies, one was just a large recipe that completely filled the BOSCH, and one I doubled. I will include the recipes later this week.
What I have discovered lately is that freezing the cookie dough is working much better than baking all the cookies and then freezing them. I find that once frozen the cookies bake up better, they always taste fresh (some cookies get that freezer taste very fast), and they store better.
To store the cookies I first line a sheet pan with waxed paper (parchment would work too) then use a scoop to make rounds of dough. If the batch does not all fit on one pan I will often just layer them by using another sheet of waxed paper. Then I freeze the dough. Once frozen enough to easily work with I first freeze one freezer bag of 24 dough balls - 2 cookie sheets worth - 1 cookie jar full. I then use the Food Saver to freeze the rest so that the dough will last longer.
In the freezer I stack the Food Saver cookie dough on the bottom of the pile making sure the newest is on the bottom. On top of that I stack the bags, again making sure the newest is on the bottom.
The reason I do this is that the Food Saver bags are more expensive, so if I am going to bake them in the next month or so there is no reason to use them, a freezer bag will do great!
Sunday we baked to trays of cookies, froze 2 bags of cookies and 2 Food Saver packages! Very successful afternoon, and lots of fun!
Click over to Tammy's for more Kitchen Tips!
Click over to Mrs. Dryer's for WFMW!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





3 comments:
Great tips. I love freezing cookies and cookie dough.
Cookies anytime sounds like a great idea to me!
That's a great idea. I have thought of freezing the cookie dough instead of baked cookies, but I just haven't done it. As a matter of fact, I'm all out of cookies right now; maybe I'd better bake and freeze some next week!
Post a Comment