Friday, March 21, 2008

Sharing From My Stockpile

Every once in a while there is a need, and I am always happy when I can meet that need with items from my stock pile (from coupon clipping at grocery stores and CVS).

The last two weeks of this month our church will be collecting toothbrushes for refugees in Uganda. Believe it or not, this is a big need there! I had not thought how hard it would be to meet back hygiene needs in such conditions! And as I looked in my toiletries stockpile I have a nice selection to share - but have two more weeks to find some more good sales!

Even though Miss Pear is not always aware of why we do things, I have bundled the toothbrushes with a rubber band so that she will be able to be the one to put them in the collection box. I think it is a concrete way to show her how we share what we have however we can.

Of course, I still end up with more free stuff that we can use (I never thought I would hear myself say that), so I keep a box in the garage of stuff that is more than we can use, or good stuff, but not great for us (we all have weird hair that requires specific shampoo), so I am always slowly filling a box, and there are numerous families we can share it with. One family is a widow with grown children, two of her daughters are married to pastors and one of her sons is still in college, plus they aways know people who need stuff, so I love to drop off a box at their house when we are nearby.

The reason I share this is to encourage you to not only be diligent is handling your family resources as well as possible, but also to encourage you to share your bounty when you can! It is always extremely appreciated, and it will be stuff that has fit into your grocery budget that you have probably picked up free at CVS! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. Previously we were running out of room for our cheap/free finds from CVS and other places. I loaded up a huge box with all kinds of stuff, and dropped it off at the local crisis pregnancy center. They were thrilled to have received it and we got much needed space back. It always feels great too to be able to give to others, even when you think you don't have much to give.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin