
This morning I made a quick batch of strawberry jam. There was nothing special about the recipe that made it fast - I buy the no sugar pectin (but still add a bit), and just follow the directions that come with it.
The jam was so quick to make because the berries were prepared and frozen when they were at the peak of the season (and therefore rock bottom price), and are now just waiting for me in the freezer when I need jam. I do not have a cold room or a big enough fridge to store jam if I make a year's worth when the berries are in season, but if I clean and prepare the berries, then freeze them using the zip top bag method, freezing flat of course, I can freeze lots of berries - enough for fruit syrup and jam all year!
It is surprising how your time is cut down when you do not have to clean and cut your berries! Although this year I think I will lightly run them through the food processor before I freeze them as that is how we prefer our jam - not all big chunks of berry and syrup, but both in every bite!
So at least I got something productive done this morning in amongst caring for my patient (husband) and playing with my daughter, even though for some reason all three jars refused to seal! Plus, I am convinced that home made is much better for my family!
Head over to Tammy's for lots of great kitchen tips!
P.S. If you know of a way to save on the cost of pectin I am ALL ears!
The jam was so quick to make because the berries were prepared and frozen when they were at the peak of the season (and therefore rock bottom price), and are now just waiting for me in the freezer when I need jam. I do not have a cold room or a big enough fridge to store jam if I make a year's worth when the berries are in season, but if I clean and prepare the berries, then freeze them using the zip top bag method, freezing flat of course, I can freeze lots of berries - enough for fruit syrup and jam all year!
It is surprising how your time is cut down when you do not have to clean and cut your berries! Although this year I think I will lightly run them through the food processor before I freeze them as that is how we prefer our jam - not all big chunks of berry and syrup, but both in every bite!
So at least I got something productive done this morning in amongst caring for my patient (husband) and playing with my daughter, even though for some reason all three jars refused to seal! Plus, I am convinced that home made is much better for my family!
Head over to Tammy's for lots of great kitchen tips!
P.S. If you know of a way to save on the cost of pectin I am ALL ears!



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





1 comment:
With a little research, either on the internet, or at the library, you will find recipes for homemade liquid pectin. I have seen it several times in my travels, but never did get around to making any.
By the way, thanks for reminding me of the bags of strawberry puree that I have in the freezer just waiting to become jam. :-D
Post a Comment