Thursday, July 8, 2010

Guacamole

For the longest time we turned up our noses at avacados, and when you live in California that is near sacrilegious! You only think I exaggerate! But then we discovered the little yellow barn that served delicious mexican food and accidentally tried quacamole. We liked it. Then we tried Baja Fresh's guacamole and we were totally hooked.

Did I mention there is no Baha Fresh up here? Yet we still moved. Go figure! :-)

Well, last week in the CSA box we got 2 avocados. I seriously thought about swapping them out. But I decided to try one more time to make quacamole. Don't ask about the first time, it is one of those "we shall never speak of it again" things.

This time I started with Alton Brown's recipe, you know, the guy from Food Network whose stuff is always good? Who is a mix between a science geek and Julia Child? He is the kitchen authority around here. If I say it is his recipe everyone tries it.

My recipe ended up looking like this:
  • 2 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
  • sprinkling of fruit fresh to keep avocado green
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 3 Roma tomatoes diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
And I basically just mashed the avocado with a fork, added the fruit fresh and mashed some more. Added the seasoning and mashed some more, added the onion and mixed, added the rest and folded/gently stirred together. Per the directions I did let it sit on the counter for about 45 minutes, but it was blazing hot, so that was it, and then I put it in the fridge.

The verdict? We hope there are more avocados in the next box....and we need more chips.

What do you like to do with avocados?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nothing...I don't like them and have tried and tried to make myself:(

Dianna said...

Yum! Mr. Mordecai learned to love them when he lived in Chile for a few years. We mash them up with salt and lemon juice; nothing else. Then eat them with chips or spread on bread. Your recipe looks so good.

Myrnie said...

YUMMY! My tomatoes are nowhere near ripe, so I'll have to wait...(there is a Baja Fresh in Redmond, BTW if you're ever on the Eastside!) Our favorite thing to do with avocados is "vitamina." It's a smoothie my husband learned how to make in Brazil, where avocado (and corn!) are considered a "sweet" and not savory fruit. Put an avocado, up to 1/4 cup sugar, a squeeze of lime juice (about a Tbsp), and enough milk to make it blend (just about cover the avocado to start with) and blend it up! Add more milk if you want it thinner- these are amazing.

Donnetta said...

I will smash and mix with salsa to make my own dip. If I'm feeling really calorie happy I will add a bit of sour cream.

I also like to eat them on burriot's and slice them in my salad.

Will have to try your guacamole recipe. It sounds easy and yummy!

Donnetta said...

burriot's was supposed to read... burrito's. LOL

Blog Widget by LinkWithin