Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Catching Up

We are having 2 cool days here yesterday and today - at least until supper time it looks like, so I have been catching up!

Yesterday I made 4 batches of beans on the pressure cooker and froze them in 2 cup portions, baked 3 banana blueberry loaves, made a special supper plus dessert for my husband's birthday, did all the laundry, cleaned the house, and cleaned the kitchen numerous times. I started teaching Miss Pear to peal carrots using the lay the carrot on the counter and carefully slide the peeler method and use the can opener with help - mostly in self defense and she keeps asking for more jobs to do. It was worth it though, she was so proud to tell Daddy what parts of supper she helped with. We also took Miss Pear to her first ever skating lesson - she had a great time!

Today I cooked 12 lbs of chicken that was on sale for $0.99, so once it is cool I have to chop it up for the freezer, plus I made up a double batch of cookies, freezing some dough and baking others. (Once the dough is frozen I will move it to food saver bags). And cleaned the kitchen. Miss Pear's new job today was putting the cooled cookies in the cookie jar. We also have to go to Costco tonight. But at least I feel a little bit more on track for any heat that may come.

I keep telling myself that God asking us to live without air conditioning for a couple months this summer is not a huge sacrifice compared to what He has called others to, and that I need to work on my attitude. So I decided to just plan for it as best I can, filling the freezer on cool days, and know that we will be eating a lot of pasta salad and sandwiches on those hot days. It is a bit tricky because the girls have become sick in the heat before, so we do try to be careful, and we do have to be mindful of our plans, but we are doing our best, and trusting God.

What have you been up to these past 2 days to start the week?

And if you can think of any more kitchen jobs for Miss Pear, please share!

2 comments:

Dianna said...

My son also loves using the peeler although he usually doesn't get much off yet. He also loves chopping food such as bread on a cutting board with a table knife while I use the big sharp one for veggies and such. It's not exactly helpful, but it's a fun way for him to have a snack and feel like he's doing what I'm doing.

I'm always looking for tips on ways kids can help in the kitchen. :)

Anonymous said...

This is an incomplete list of jobs my almost 5 year old does to help in the kitchen: scrub the sink with a soapy sponge, wash cups, wipe down the outside of the trash can, rinse out the recycling and sort it all in the mud room, set the table, unload the dishwasher, take the food scraps to the compost pile, scrub potatoes and other veggies, butter bread, use the microwave (to heat up frozen veggies etc--with two oven mitts!), "organize" the pots and pans cabinet, fold dish towels and wash cloths, put ingredients away as I use them, and wipe down the kitchen chairs. I just let her work as long as she has an interest and some of the jobs are things she's seen her older sisters doing:) It's a challenge to keep three girls busy and still useful in the kitchen!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin