Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Not All Days Go Smoothly

Last night we had supper with new friends. It was wonderful. So wonderful that all of a sudden I looked at my watch and commented how sorry I was that it had suddenly become so late! Our wonderful hostess commented that I was not to worry, we just had to watch for 7. It was 8. We had a great time.

But this morning, I had Grumpus 1 and Grumpus 2 on my hands rather than my sweet girls.

That's what we get for going out and having too much fun.

But in the craziness God spoke to me.

This afternoon life was suddenly getting to me in a big way. Miss Pear who DESPERATELY needed a nap did not nap. The afternoon was difficult.

But I was proud of myself, I got supper on the go! And it was perfectly on time!

But life was still nuts, so I was not too proud. And all of a sudden I could feel the day slipping in a direction that was not good for any of us.

So I stopped. Found my Kitchen Bible where Miss Pear had returned it after borrowing it, and flipped open to my spot in Psalms. And in Psalm 37: 3-4 I read:

Trust in the LORD, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
Delight yourself also in the LORD,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

And I stopped. I knew that this was a passage that was for me in this moment.

I let it roll around in my brain and heart as I opened some windows for fresh air and the girls watched out the front window for Daddy.

When the timer beeped I pulled out supper from the oven. I put the casserole down, and while I was still standing in front if it, it shattered. It literally split in 2 with such force I could hardly breath for a moment. I was shocked and afraid all at the same time. Supper was ruined. My casserole was destroyed. But there was no damage to anything else...namely me.

I was in that after state when your heart rate is still up and you still feel anxious even though it is over when my husband came home a couple minutes later. He had one question: was I okay? Of course I was, just feeling silly for still having the bejeebers scared out of me.

Then we pulled out the money we had been given to go out for supper on a night we needed it, we loaded the girls up into the car, and headed for our new favorite burger place. After our gift money we paid a whole $0.45 for supper. We had a great time, and stopped at the park on the way home.

When we got home the broken casserole was still on the counter as it had been too hot to do anything with.

I looked at it and was not the least bit anxious because in the scheme of things it did not matter. It could have pushed my day completely over the edge, but I had the "double edged sword" to do battle with, I had the Word in my heart and in my brain directing me.

Trust in the LORD, and do good;... feed on His faithfulness.
Ps 37:3

1 comment:

Donnetta said...

LOVE this! Even in the midst of potential emotional catastrophe, you testify to God's provision.

Safety for you, $ for dinner out, and a peace to clean it all up when you returned home.

Way to do battle my friend! I am proud to stand next to you on the front lines, shield in place and sword in hand. He is Faithful!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin