Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grace Word Study Step 2

Last week we looked at why anyone can do a solid word study and completed step 1. All from the comfort of your home with the power of the internet - step 2 is no different! All done from home, and if you are like me, it means it was done in sweats and slippers with a cup of something hot and yummy assisting!

The next thing I like to do is compile a selection of different translations of the same verse. For an academic version of this you should shoot for at least 7, and considering how easy this step is going to be, you might want to do 7 or more! But for a personal study 3 or 4 translations would certainly be good.

Why do I say this is so easy? Well, even if you don't have a number of Bible translations on your shelf or Bible software on your computer there are a lot of great sites out there that make it very easy to get as many translations as you want! For an online reference I most often use Bible Gateway where you can search by verse and then simply keep changing the translation. Plus it has the LOVELY benefit of making it possible for you to simply copy and paste into your document - the key reason I do this whole study in a Word document!

Again, as you copy and paste your copies of your verses in, be sure to bold the word you are looking at!

When I was done this portion of my document looked like this:

Translations

NAS95S – And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

NLT – Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.

KJV – And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

NIV – But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

AMP – But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!

Message My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness.

NRSV – but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

NIRV – My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness.

ESV – But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.


At this point you will notice a few things:

Yes, I really did use 9 translations, but I did this for a couple key reasons. First, I am actually looking at the word sufficient in this verse as well, so as I collected verses I collected with that word in mind to - and then copied it into the other document. It makes life much easier if you want to look at 2 words in the same verse that you do the two studies in tandem for both this step and another step that I will show you in 2 weeks. Plus, I love looking at the Bible in multiple translations, it really helps me to grasp more of what the meaning is.

Second, you will note that in the Amplified version (Amp) there is a parenthasis right in the Bible verse that explains the word grace. This version does that a lot, and so it is ALWAYS helpful to include it, even if it might not be your favorite study translation.

Any questions? Is anything jumping out at you at this point yet?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin