Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Oatmeal Bread

I often get asked about bread recipes that I use...time to share this week!

This one is from the More-With-Less Cookbook. It is one of our favorites, and is the recipe I pull out when friends ask to learn to make bread, or when we are sick. It never flops, it is always delicious, and I always double it for 4 loaves.

Oatmeal Bread
1 cup quick oats (I substitute rolled oats)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp margarine
2 cups boiling water
1 pkg dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
5 cups flour

Mix oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and margarine in large bowl. Pour boiling water over top. Mix and let cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in water and add to oat mixture. Stir in 5 cups flour and kneed.
Place in greased bowl and let rise until double. Punch down and let rise again.

Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans and immediately into oven.

Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes..

Cool on rack brushing loaves with margarine for a soft crust if you would like.

4 comments:

Nick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

mmm...sounds very yummy! Have you ever experimented with the amounts of wheat/white flour? Just curious...think I might try this one with my girls next week for their weekly cooking lesson, this way we are all learning something new. Plus with four little girls, doubling the recipe would give them each a loaf to keep and share:)
Jen

Mrs. Pear said...

Jen - I have and we found the bread too heavy with the wheat and the oatmeal. But then again this is my husband's favorite and he did not appreciate me trying to healthify it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I was in a pinch yesterday prepping for our Friday night Bible study crew and didn't really have time to go to the store. Made this bread and --YUM, YUM! It was devoured by all and hardly a crumb left to eat this morning:) Thanks for sharing! I now have a new bread recipe to add to our regular rotation!
Jen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin