Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Butter Tarts

Last week I posted about Butter Tarts and was sad to see that my American readers had not tasted these delicious morsels! As it is impossible to invite you all over for tea to introduce you, I decided to do the next best thing, although it is a distant second, and share the recipe with you.


Butter Tarts

12 Pastry lined tart shells (You can buy these, but I just make a pie shell, roll it out, cut it and fit it into my well greased muffin tin, with the tart shells coming approximately half way up. A recipe of pie pastry to make a double pie shell will make 24 nice tarts with enough dough left over for pat deux soeurs.)
1/3 cup raisins (although I don't measure I just put some in the bottom of the tart shells)

1 egg
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp butter or margarine softened
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

Divide raisins amongst tart shells

Beat egg with a spoon in bowl until smooth. Mix in next 7 ingredients in order given, one at a time, mixing to incorporate each time. Spoon over raisins. Tart shells should be 2/3 full. bake on bottom shelf in 375 F oven for about 12-15 minutes until pastry is browned and filling rises up but does not break the surface.

Cool.

These freeze very well...should they last that long...I usually double the recipe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look great.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin