Before I go any further, let me state clearly that some people have it really, really hard, and are facing impossible financial situations. I feel very bad for them, and in no way are they included in what I am about to say.
It seems like it has almost become fashionable to be frugal! And those money savings ideas are laughable to families who have been doing this for a while...use coupons, shop sales, turn off lights you are not using... But I understand that for many those ideas are novel! So while I am disappointed when I read yet another list and don't glean any new insight I understand the purpose.
But what confuses me is people who are clearly doing well are saying how hard it is, how impossible it is!
Let me give you an couple examples:
- Saying how hard it is and how expensive everything is as they prepare to leave for a beach resort town for a week's vacation.
- Saying how they are scrimping and saving for a new roof right before they go buy a new truck (and their old one is running just fine).
- Saying how they too had to take forced company vacation, but that was okay, they just flew to Hawaii for the week, but it was so hard to give up that vacation time.
So my question is this. Has frugal become the new black? Whining about how hard things are is fashionable so we do it? Or do we (as a nation, both US and Canada as I am hearing this from both) just have no clue what it is to face hardship and do without?
What are your thoughts? Or am I just not getting enough sleep and this is the issue that finally pushed my last button?



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





3 comments:
My favorites are all the articles with frugal tips that tell you ten ways to save money, etc. We were already doing all of them! :)
People that complain about their money when they are splashing it on expensive vacations, name brand clothing make me laugh. We recently applied for a bank loan to pay off our debt faster. I took my budget with me and the loan manager told me that I should be teaching people how to budget. You have to!!!! It makes sense if you have 100 you only can spend 100. My dh is on a permanent disability so money is tight but all our bills are paid on time and our credit ratings thank us for it. Clare
While it is annoying for those of us well educated in the tricks of the trade as it were, it's not a bad thing for other people to become realistic about what they should do with their money. Yes, they often complain when they've got it good, but we all do in one way or another. I complain about not having a place to live when I should be thankful that family was willing to put us up for a few months. I'd rather hear those hints one more time and convert another person than to perpetuate this circle of living beyond our means that our country has fallen into.
Post a Comment