I wanted to let you know that I actually waited until March this year to start my summer garden. Okay, so I waited until the 1st, but technically it was March!
Yesterday afternoon after the nap to recover from Church (Baby always needs a long one), we went to the nursery and we bought strawberries! 8 plants of everbearing and 4 plants of June specific. We also picked up 2 more gerbera daisies for more color in the back and 3 ostesporiums for color in the front.
When we got home I put baby down for another nap while Mr Pear and Miss Pear prepared the soil. Then we planted the strawberries, sweet potatoes (apparently here you can just go the store, buy the potatoes and quarter them and plant them...who knew you did not need seed potatoes) and gerbera daisies. Then this morning I took the girls out front to quickly plant the ostesporiums before the rains come.
I did not pull up my pepper plants from last year and they are still growing peppers, albeit small ones, but still!
I do have to call the seed people today and order basil, carrots, pickling cucumber and tomato seeds to be planted the end of this month along with a hearty laying down of slug and snail bait!
Usually this is the end of our rainy season, but we need rain so badly that I have been praying fervently for more rain than expected and for additional storms through April or even May! While I know many areas need rain, California is not called the country's salad bowl for nothing, so I remind myself that as I pray for rain for us, it is also something that will help keep food prices down in other parts of the country and bless others too! Plus, storms that hit us tend to just meander across the country hitting those other dry areas too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





2 comments:
Oh how I wish I were out planting right now instead of looking at our second snow day in a row in VIRGINIA!
Now that we've moved, we have plenty of land, but mostly woods. I don't know if I'll even be able to plant a garden. We also have a homeowners association in our new neighborhood, so I'm limited in my flower planting as well...
Who are you ordering your seeds from?
Keep us posted!
I would love to hear more specifics on how you are planting the sweet potatoes- in a container or in the ground, any soil specifics, etc. We are in north Orange County and we love the long growing season here, too.
Post a Comment