Because it is much too hot to think here today, I thought I would continue the hope chest series with what was put aside for Miss Pear during her first year. I keep track via a Word file on the computer so that I know the who and when of the items. Not exactly scientific, but it works for me! I do try to be descriptive in the list so that items can be matched up. It is my plan that while I am storing in plastic tubs to print the list that goes with that tub and slip it in.
For Miss Pear's first birthday I decided to make a set of 4 French Provincial style place mats. Needless to say they were not done in time! But they are done now, are very cute and are tucked away in the box.
A Pooh Bear rattle was a decoration on a present from us to match the Winnie the Pooh theme of her birthday, so I had to save that once she was done with it.
One grandmother embroidered a set of 7 dish towels.
The other grandmother placed inside an embroidered dish towel and my grandmother's copy of the 4-H cook book from when I was a 4-Her!
Other items placed in during this year were:
- Sleeper that Mommy came home from the hospital in (honestly, I did not know what else to do with it).
- Hat that Miss Pear wore in the hospital - it was a newborn hat that we brought with us that was so much softer than the ones at the hospital, and fit better too.
- Shirt Miss Pear was given at the hospital with the hospital logo on it.
- Sleeper and hat that Miss Pear came home from the hospital in (we did not put it away until after she outgrew it!)
- Pink and White sweater that was Mommy’s
- Miss Pear’s Christening Gown – It was made by Miss Pear’s Great Grandma for Mommy to be baptized in. (We had this preserved, so it is in an annoyingly large cardboard box, but it still fits in the plastic tub, and I pray a third generation will wear it, followed by many more!)
- Miss Pear’s First Christmas - Special First Christmas socks from Daddy and Mommy
- Barnyard Dance - Miss Pear ’s first signed book just for her. This was a favorite, as seen by the teething evidence….
- Dusty Rose sweater that Mommy knit for Miss Pear while recovering from a broken foot. It was the first sweater she made.
Baby Blankets Saved for Miss Pear (none in box yet, they still get used occasionally)
- White on white quilt a Grandma made
- Pooh Bear cross stitch Afghan a Grandma made
- Ribbon blanket a Grandma made
- White, pink, and blue afghan Great Great Auntie made
- Purple afghan dear friend made and shipped from Japan
As you can see, an inordinate amount of stuff has been set aside from the first year, but I forced my self to show some restraint. I tried to limit myself to real keepsakes, things that I would be heartbroken to lose, or that were particularly meaningful. I also tried to put a few mementos that were family pass downs.
Lest you think we have to set aside an entire closet for this project, I assure you that the first year is by far the longest list so far! And some items are stored at grandparents homes and will eventually make their way here as there is room in the suitcases! Therefore we have only one plastic tub - although it is full, and another is needed. The tubs will be stored in Miss Pear's closet once I pull the baby stuff out!
Once I am sure I will not need the crib sheets (I am thinking about waiting until baby is born before I order crib sheets so I can order pink or blue, so I might need these ones a bit longer even though they are worn out along the edges) I will be using them to sew protective covers for quilts - more on this later, but the white on white quilt will need a cover, as will at least 2 more known to date. Quilts should always be folded top side in, then stored wrapped in cotton - pillow cases work best. Choose a light color if possible, old pillow cases work great as they will not leach color. As receiving blankets start to fray they will be used for this purpose too.
I am not as organized in storage as I could be, but that will become an important project in the next couple years.



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





2 comments:
"I am not as organized in storage as I could be, but that will become an important project in the next couple years."
Oh my...you must be joking. I know I have saved all the precious things from when my girls were babies, but I'm afraid they are jumbled haphazardly in boxes and bins waiting to be sorted and stored better. I think you are doing far better than you realize!
Thank you for sharing about Miss Pear's hope chest. I have loved reading each of these delightful posts. :o)
Post a Comment