Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Waffle Batches



For my Kitchen Tip Tuesday, I have to confess a long standing short falling in the kitchen which I have FINALLY managed to overcome!

We love waffles around here, and occasionally even have them for breakfast! But usually as brunch, lunch or supper. And it always requires that I make a few and keep them warm while I finish making enough for our family - or more if it is for company! This has always resulted in the one at the bottom of the pile being a "throw away" as the condensation makes it collapse while keeping warm in the oven.

This is always horribly disappointing to me as it is so wasteful, and I make them from scratch!

But this weekend I finally had an epiphany. I took my cooking rack and placed it on my sheet pan. (I have a large cooling rack so it went right across and I could have two piles of waffles). I put it in the oven and set it to 200F. As the waffles were done I started my piles.

And when I was done, every waffle was a keeper.

Even the bottom ones!

But not being directly on the pan no condensation could develop, so the waffles were crispy top and bottom!

I am SO happy! And it was not just the strawberries and whip cream on the waffles that did it!

3 comments:

Dianna said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I am trying to get more excited about breakfast, so this will come in handy.

CC said...

great idea!

Kirstin said...

I'm going to try this too because there's nothing more disappointing than soft, limp waffles.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin