Friday, July 6, 2007

Tortilla Soup


We love this recipe, it is best made in the slow cooker, frozen, and then pulled out for a meal later on. It is never as good on the first day as it is after it has been in the freezer for a bit! I am making this today as part of my marathon freezer cooking session!

Tortilla Soup

6 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
2 cloves minced garlic
3 x 14 oz cans chicken broth
4 x 14 oz stewed tomatoes pureed
2 cans black beans, rinsed
2 cups salsa
2 tbsp cumin
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Serve with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and tortilla chips

Add all ingredients except cilantro to slow cooker.

Cook on high for 6 hours, then on low until serving time.

During last half hour of cooking time, add cilantro.

Freeze using the freezer bag method.

7 comments:

Jill said...

That sounds delicious! I have been thinking about collecting recipes to make and freeze before my baby is born. I think this will be a good one for the collection! Thanks for posting!

Renee said...

This sounds really tasty! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Carey said...

This does sound really yummy! Now do you cook it for the full 6 hours, cool it completely, then freeze it? How many meals can you get out of one batch? I would like to try this.

Joyful Days said...

Going to try this!

Overwhelmed! said...

Yummy! I need to try this recipe for our family, especially if it freezes well!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

I hope to see you again next Friday!

Unknown said...

I need more freezer recipes. Thanks!

theups said...

Anything with cilantro in it is DEFINITELY going to be loved by me!!

His,
Mrs. U

Blog Widget by LinkWithin