I have a cookbook obsession, I love to cook, I love to try new things, and my MIL would hate me if she did not love me so much because she says that everything new I try works, and looks just like the picture in the cookbook. She exaggerates of course, but you get the idea!But my cookbook bookshelf is FULL! (The movers even commented on the sheer number of books we own!) I buy them, people give them to me, they are fundraisers....I have a cookbook from the synod of the church denomination I grew up in when they raised money to help others, from the church my husband's aunt and uncle attend, the one my maid of honor attended, the 4-H group I grew up in, along with a whole host of others. The problem is that my bookshelf is overflowing. Alarmingly so. Plus, the file of to be tried recipes from magazines and the web is 3 inches thick. Then there is the stack of Kraft Magazines, Gourmet Magazines, Bon Appetite Magazines, Fine Cooking, and Cooks Illustrated (I just pick up the ones that interest me, usually at Costco where they are discounted).
It is time for some kind of intervention!
So here is my plan.
1. I no longer print out recipes. I can save them as PDF files to my computer. I go through my recipe file once a month or two with the "slash and burn" mentality. If it no longer sounds good, I delete it!
2. Pick one cookbook that really did not work out for me because it really only had a hand full of good recipes, that is a candidate to be passed on or put in storage because it is a great reference book and I cannot quite part with it yet. Once I have picked this cookbook I mark every recipe I want to try and work through it, trying to fit in two or three recipes a week depending on what is on sale and our schedule. If I like the recipe I type it up into the cookbook compilation I have on my computer, if not I move on and do not think about it again.
3. If it is in a magazine or online, I try it, if it is good, it goes into the computer cookbook, if not I just toss it into the recycling.
4. I try to use the slash and burn method to go through magazines and such as well to cut down the leaning tower of potential great recipes.
So far I am making some progress, but there is a long way to go yet....
....And Williams Sonoma Cakes is calling my name.....
So, getting through my "to be tried" pile of recipes and making room for new cookbooks most certainly works for me!



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





7 comments:
I'm guilty of this too! Recipes and cookbooks galore. The sad thing is I don't cook many big meals anymore since it's just the two of us. Now, we usually grill something and just add a salad. Great idea! Thanks!
Hugs!
Kat
Where were you before I copied off 200 recipes from the food network! blessings!
I'm right there with you! I love cookbooks! Cooking magazines! Cooking shows, etc!
I watch a lot of cooking shows on tv & mark down my favorite recipes from the shows. Copy & paste them into my "Recipe Book" on my computer!
Thanks for sharing-I like your idea about marking recipes in a cookbook that you want to try & working through them!
Oh, Mrs. Pear!! A woman after my own heart!! I LOVE cookbooks, too!! And recipes. And magazines with recipes. And lots and lots of recipes ONLINE!! I have TOO many!!!
Thank you for sharing your ideas!!! I guess I should have some of that "slash and burn" mentality, too. I do have a couple of cookbooks that I never use but I keep thinking "Well, ONE DAY it may be JUST the cookbook I need!!" Hahaahhaaa!!
His,
Mrs. U
I'm in the process of trying to organize my recipes too. I find I have tons of clippings and hand-written recipes that I have collected. You have listed some good ideas.
I have lots of recipes as well. I keep thinking that I will go through them and organize them, but I just never seem to get to it. Thanks for the ideas! Blessings to you !
Good ideas! I've printed off too many on-line recipes that end up getting stashed and not used. I need to sift through all of them--maybe your post will give me the motivation I need!
Post a Comment