Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Creating Kitchen Counter Space

The image “http://www.tammysrecipes.com/files/kitchentiptuesdays.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Our new home that we are moving to this week will be the first time that I will have more than enough counter space for all the cooking and baking I love to do. Before I was married I had a very small apartment kitchen. Once we were married we lived in a slightly larger apartment with a slightly larger kitchen, but still small, and as much as I loved our town home, it's kitchen is on the small side too.

Through this experience I learned to be creative with maximizing the space I had - all dishes go immediately into the sink or dishwasher once I am done with them, ingredients are used and immediately put away, and only one project at a time as much as possible!

But even these steps were not enough sometimes. So I found five things that have worked well to create extra counter space.

First, I tried very hard to keep our cupboards clutter-free and as clear as possible.

When I was baking I would put cooling racks, or items that needed to rise on top of our breakfast hutch and table, rather than taking up valuable space on the counters I was still using!

I would use the table like a staging area when I needed the extra space.

I would put my slow cooker across two stove elements as it was level enough, and when I was using the slow cooker I was not using those elements, but still needed my counters!

In dire circumstances, like when I made large batches of stuffed chicken for the freezer, I would put a large plastic cutting board over my sink so that I would have one long work station!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mrs. Pear. I have a small kitchen, too, and the dining table is a wonderful tool. I have also used the top rack of the dishwasher to hold things while I am working on something, but that can get bothersome, with the dishwasher door in the way... But, you make do, eh?

Bethanie said...

Good tips!

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing these tips, Mrs. Pear! We, too, have a lack of kitchen space and several of these will be most beneficial. :o)

AmyG said...

All very good ideas! I have a nice sized Kitchen, but not a lot of usable counter space...I love the cutting bords over the sink Idea...
Thanks and God Bless!

Alexandra said...

I'm thinking of getting a little portable island.

Good idea about extending the counter with the sink.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin