Monday, June 27, 2011

Cherry Week

Happy Monday, and I am much happier this Monday than I was last monday when I was almost in tears from my re-injured hand!

I am still going very slowly, wearing a brace, and taking lots of Motrin to make it through the day, but if I follow all the directions I was given carefully I actually stay ahead of the pain - huge improvement!  Thank you Lord!

We found out this morning that the 30 lbs of cherries we ordered for canning and eating will be here at least a week early, and at a better price...they will be here tomorrow.

So I think Baby will be pulling the stems off, Miss Pear will be pitting them with a cherry pitter, and us adults will be putting them in jars with syrup and processing them - should be interesting, but my husband grew up with a mom that cans and is actually better at it than I am!  So we will get it done.

But typing is still very hard for me, both time consuming and messes up the calm in my hand, so I will be back as I can, but probably not very much.

What would you be doing if you were blessed with 30lbs of organic bing cherries?  (At $1.50 a pound!  I am doing such a happy dance!)

2 comments:

Myrnie said...

I came home with almost 20 pounds of Bings a few summers ago, when Washington had a bumper crop. We filled the dehydrator, and froze the rest for snacking (amazing straight from the freezer!), smoothies and winter pies. (Smitten Kitchen has a fabulous sweet cherry pie on her site, and do include the almond extract if you make it, plus a bit extra flour :)

Dianna said...

Lucky! If I had that many cherries, I hate to admit it, but I might eat quite a lot of them. Brings back memories. They freeze really well too. They would make awesome smoothies! Or you could put them in ice cream . . . mmm.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin