Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spinach Cheese Bake

I had some baby spinach from the last CSA box that needed to be eaten up, and a salad would not work because with sore throats all around we are not buddies with salads right now. So I pulled out my Simply in Season Expanded Edition (World Community Cookbook) and started looking. I finally decided on Chard Cheese Bake because spinach is the other option to chard in it. Although rather than steaming the spinach I put some olive oil in the bottom of a heavy pan and added some minced garlic. I slowly brought it to temperature so the olive oil was lovely and garlicky too. I was pleased with the results, but thought it was missing something...I just don't know what. What are your thoughts?

Here is the recipe (page 210)

Spinach Cheese Bake
1lb Spinach cooked

4 eggs (beaten)
1 cup milk
1 cup Swiss cheese (or another cheese) shredded
1 cup bread cubed (I used home made)
1/2 cup green onion (I used red because that is what I had)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
(I cheated and added some salt and pepper too)
Combine with cooked greens. Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.

What are your thoughts on adding some more flavor to this? Or is the problem that I used mozzarella cheese because that is what I had and it just did not have enough flavor?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin